Unknown sickness

Emerald_Oceans

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2023
Buffalo NY
Female Lavander Orpington unknown age possibly 7 months. She is defiantly thin. But it makes no sense she was health back in August and according to the scale her weight hasn't changed. Her poops are normal. Her symptoms are sleepy, seeming cold, and well the picture she a wreck. She doesn't normally look like this. I don't know how to treat. I have checked for egg bound even though she's not laying yet. I have checked for mites,lice, and worms. Doesn't feel like an impacted crop.

Attachments

• 20231223_132904.jpg
    20231223_132904.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 55
Just looking at the poor thing makes me think coccidiosis.

What's she being fed and are there other chickens or just her? If others, is she the only one acting like this?

She should be laying now so perhaps she's having issues with it. I'd give her one of your calcium +D minimally 300 mg pills and if none, give her a tums. For the pills, just open her mouth and put it in, she'll eat it. If that's not it, it won't hurt her.

I would consider coccidiosis too. I know you said her poop is fine but that sometimes can be fine with it. Do you have any Corid on hand?

Last edited:
Just looking at the poor thing makes me think coccidiosis.

What's she being fed and are there other chickens or just her? If others, is she the only one acting like this?

She should be laying now so perhaps she's having issues with it. I'd give her one of your calcium +D minimally 300 mg pills and if none, give her a tums. For the pills, just open her mouth and put it in, she'll eat it. If that's not it, it won't hurt her.

I would consider coccidiosis too. I know you said her poop is fine but that sometimes can be fine with it. Do you have any Corid on hand?
She is the only 1 with this behavior currently but I am the paranoid type so I would treat all of them. I do not have any corid on hand. I'm a new chicken owner. Could you give me a picture of eactly what I need if possible and dose and how to give.

Back
Top Bottom