Unplanned nest casuing problem in the pigeon loft.

Pigeon.PNG
Pigeon.PNG

In the future I plan to get an old book case or shelves and simply add it onto the outside of the coop on the left side. I can cut holes in the wire so the birds can get into it on the different levels and nest in it without me having to take up space inside the cage.

I have 5 birds now. 2 are original ones and the 3 are their offspring. As the coop is only small I plan to have a max of 8 birds.

They are all white homers as I love seeing the white 'doves' flying in the sky.. looks so beautiful. The get let out every day for at least 3 hours too and this is when they like to also have their bath time.

In the future I plan to get an old book case or shelves and simply add it onto the outside of the coop on the left side. I can cut hole in the wire so the birds can get into it and nest in it without me having to take up space inside the cage.

I have 5 birds now. 2 are or original ones and the 3 are their offspring. As the coop is only small I plan to have a max of 8 birds.

They are all white homers as I love seeing the white 'doves' flying in the sky.. looks so beautiful. The get let out every day for at least 3 hours too.
Your birds are lovely. I saw a comment on one of the Maney Loft vids by someone from Thailand with white homers and I thought I should tell Jak who is looking for some,.... then I realized - it must be YOU!:lol:

I see another easy way to put a shelf in. If you have 2 metal rods or wood pieces slightly longer than the width of the loft you could thread them through the wire and set the shelf on top. With the weight of the water it should stay in place.

Your birds are lovely. I saw a comment on one of the Maney Loft vids by someone from Thailand with white homers and I thought I should tell Jak who is looking for some,.... then I realized - it must be YOU!:lol:

I see another easy way to put a shelf in. If you have 2 metal rods or wood pieces slightly longer than the width of the loft you could thread them through the wire and set the shelf on top. With the weight of the water it should stay in place.

Ha ha. Yes that is me!
That idea about a metal rod is great. I will go out on my materials hunt today. Look for a narrow metal rod / bit of timber / broom handle, small stool or chair too, and try out both ideas and see what works best.

Thanks again for the help!

Oh, my pigeons are being so annoying now!!!

I put a shelf in there with the feed and water. Well, they are terrified of it!! I left them in the coop all day with the feeder on it. They would not eat anything. Sometime the next morning they managed to smash the shelf off and it fell onto the nest on the floor and the water container broke, spilling water over the nest!!!

Mother pigeon could not get back onto the nest as it was covered by the shelf. What are the odds of that happening?!?!?!? I mean the shelf somehow fell and bounced off the ground to the exact spot where the nest was! I have idea how long the eggs were left to get cool, but the parents went back to brooding them when I fixed up the shelf again.

When is the best time to candle them to see if somethings growing or they are dead?

As I fixed up the shelf (securing it with lots of wire this time) the non nesting pigeons got freaked out and were banging about everywhere in the coop as they hated the shelf, slapping me in the face with their wings, and clawing their way over my neck.. ouch!!!,... and then they got out as they banged the door open a few inches.

They have been out 2 days now and won't come back in.. .even though they must be really hungry. They go to the landing board and look in, but see the shelf and won't go in. If I go near them to encourage them in they fly off.

I feel like pulling my hair out how frustrating they are being, and my partner is mad as they are now exploring every inch of our house, pooping as they go on everything!!!! They are being really naughty. I think they are looking for a nesting place. They even try to get in the windows into the house!

Tomorrow I will try to persuade my partner to take me to a DIY store and I will get some cheap shelves to use as nesting boxes... that might encourage them to come back. So frustrating I can't drive or get there on my own. Feeling this is going to lead to an argument too…. as I am being pressured to get rid of the pigeons for several months now as they are 'messy'.

Last edited:
That is very frustrating. I didn't expect they would spook as I have added an extra shelf and the birds explore right away. So sorry our advice led to the possible destruction of the nest.:(
Best of luck in finding a solution.

That is very frustrating. I didn't expect they would spook as I have added an extra shelf and the birds explore right away. So sorry our advice led to the possible destruction of the nest.:(
Best of luck in finding a solution.

OK, no worries... I am very grateful for you advise, and all the other posters too.

The last one went back in today. I am keeping them locked up for a few days till they calm down and accept the new 'furniture'. They are really snobby birds.. the shelf must not meet their artistic tastes lol.

The older pair are still brooding the eggs. The others can now get food and water off the shelf (but I have to chase the dominant male out of the coop or he won't even let them get to the feeder). So all working out OK now.

I spent an hour cleaning up all the bird poop from out house walls, windowsills, patio and outdoor chairs LOL. The birds are in my bad books!!!!

Could not get any shelves today sadly. Plan tomorrow now. Everything is chipboard pressed boards so they won't last long when the rain comes, but they will do as a temp fix for now.

I'm having a similar issue with the dominant male in my loft being a general menace, I'm glad things are looking up for you though!

I am now in the same situation as you. Everything was going well, the shelf was working and the birds were all able to get food and water. I thought I could relax.

But, today the male bird has gone crazy. He is attacking the other 3 birds CONSTANTLY, chasing them from perch to perch and won't let them rest. He has claimed the shelf as his own and again they birds are prevented from drinking or eating.

I have resorted to shutting him outside the coop. This is making him mad and he is clambering up the sides of the coop to try and get back in and trying to attack the birds though the wire mesh.

I really don't know what to do now. I am thinking about trying to move the nest and put that and him and his mate in separate cage. I don't have much money either to buy a cage and I am not even sure the eggs are still fertile after they got chilled.

Seems that every solution I come up with, this bird still gets the upper hand!!!

Back
Top Bottom