Unplanned nest casuing problem in the pigeon loft.

Candled the eggs today. They are fertile, with the red veins and a blob moving about inside them.

Fixed up the shelf so it can't fall again. Birds all used to it now.

Fixed 4 nest boxes to the outside of the coop and made entrances into them from the main coop. Birds seem interested in them but so far too scared to go inside. My birds are wimps!!

The bully bird is still a bully, but less so now. He has his mate on the eggs and has also paired up with the young female. The other 2 I think are males, but they are nice temperament and not at all aggressive or causing problems.

Will add nesting material to the boxes tomorrow and see if that encourages them inside. The entrances into the boxes are just big enough to allow a single bird to fill the hole, so I hope that once a bird claims a box it will sit in the entrance and be able to push the bully bird away easily, rather that him chasing them from perch to perch.

Peace Reigns!!!

Great news. I put nesting material in each nest box today, and the birds could not resist going in to inspect their potential nests.

The bully bird at first claimed ALL 4 nest boxes and chased the others out, but finally he decided on the top box (of course).

His eldest son has moved in the apartment below his dad.

There is no more fighting, with the bully bird happy to stay in his top box, cooing, all the time. His mate is still on her nest on the floor.

Watching them closely these last few days, I know now I have 2 male birds for sure. And the female on eggs.

The 2 remaining birds I suspect one is male, as he is always cooing and hooting. the other one I am hoping will be female, otherwise I will have 4 males and 1 female, which is not ideal.

Keeping my fingers crossed the peace continues for now. Also, I hope both the eggs hatch and they will be 2 females.

I will get some more photos of my birds, and their nesting boxes when its daylight tomorrow.

Peace Reigns!!!

Great news. I put nesting material in each nest box today, and the birds could not resist going in to inspect their potential nests.

The bully bird at first claimed ALL 4 nest boxes and chased the others out, but finally he decided on the top box (of course).

His eldest son has moved in the apartment below his dad.

There is no more fighting, with the bully bird happy to stay in his top box, cooing, all the time. His mate is still on her nest on the floor.

Watching them closely these last few days, I know now I have 2 male birds for sure. And the female on eggs.

The 2 remaining birds I suspect one is male, as he is always cooing and hooting. the other one I am hoping will be female, otherwise I will have 4 males and 1 female, which is not ideal.

Keeping my fingers crossed the peace continues for now. Also, I hope both the eggs hatch and they will be 2 females.

I will get some more photos of my birds, and their nesting boxes when its daylight tomorrow.
:woot I knew you'd figure it out.:D

Here are some photos of my birds.

pigeon6.PNG
pigeon2.PNG
pigeon3.PNG
pigeon6.PNG

Attachments

• pigeon1.PNG
    pigeon1.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • pigeon4.PNG
    pigeon4.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Glad things seem better. :)

I hadn’t seen this thread till now and as I was reading along, I was thinking of a temporary vertical divider of netting, simple thumb tacks or staples, to divide them off till the babies hatch. Or even a horizontal divider, a cardboard box could be cut for the temporary upper floor, and using sticks/branches/dowel rods thru the framing to hold it up. Might be a thought if the issues crop back up with the current situation.

Beautiful birds by the way, even if they are brats. :D

Today I am happy to report that 2 very big pigeon squabs hatched in the morning. They are very strong and surprisingly large compared to the ones that hatched in the past.

The birds are still all getting on fine again and only the occasional disagreement.

The parents are very attentive and protective of their nest and the area around it, and they are the top of the pecking order birds, so I think their young will be safe from the other birds... but will keep a close eye on them. Very happy the eggs hatched after then got the shelf and a load of water dumped on top of them in the beginning!!

Back
Top Bottom