Unplugged incubator, Emu egg!

Okay, first off so sorry your experiencing this I actually had a similar situation occur when I first incubated emu eggs (the only time but trust me I learned a lot). I can’t tell you wether the egg will hatch or if the chick died when the incubator was unplugged but what I can tell you is that if it was less than 6 hours without heat I would say there is a good chance the egg is still “alive”. Also right around this point the baby will start to wiggle the egg so be checking for any signs of life. On day 55 the hatch date I woke up with the power completely off the eggs were cold but still whistling the temperature in the incubator was well below 70 and the one chick that hatched on on day 52 was freezing cold all curled up in a ball. Two or three days later every egg hatched.

I don't know much about a EMU egg, but I would put it back in the incubator and warm it back up. Then candle it if possible. If its alive you should see movement.
I don't know if you can do this, cause the shell is so thick.

Lol, you can’t candle emu eggs because the shell is so dark.

Okay, first off so sorry your experiencing this I actually had a similar situation occur when I first incubated emu eggs (the only time but trust me I learned a lot). I can’t tell you wether the egg will hatch or if the chick died when the incubator was unplugged but what I can tell you is that if it was less than 6 hours without heat I would say there is a good chance the egg is still “alive”. Also right around this point the baby will start to wiggle the egg so be checking for any signs of life. On day 55 the hatch date I woke up with the power completely off the eggs were cold but still whistling the temperature in the incubator was well below 70 and the one chick that hatched on on day 52 was freezing cold all curled up in a ball. Two or three days later every egg hatched.

Birdmanmax! Thank you for sharing your experience this helps a lot! our power went out and and my eggs dropped down to 80 degrees! Your post made me feel so much better I currently have 9 emu eggs in the incubator!

This same thing happened to me the first time I incubated emus as well. I had purchased three eggs and had been incubating them for about 12 days when I returned home to find that the incubator had come unplugged at some point since the last time the eggs were turned and the eggs were now cold. I thought for sure they had died, but having no way to know for sure I continued to incubate and turn them anyway. One began wiggling on about day 40, letting me know that they had survived.
In the end, I had one chick make it out of the shell, one that made it to hatch day but failed to hatch, and the third seemed to be infertile. Unfortunately, the one surviving chick ended up with a leg deformity and eventually died. Be very sure, if or when your egg hatches, to never let it get onto any slippery surfaces as this increases the risk of leg deformities, which emus cannot survive with for long.
That said, I hatched again last year. That time the power went out for a few hours in the middle of incubation... Still, I ended up with one healthy chick. He's almost a year old now.

Back
Top Bottom