unresponsve hen

deannabirr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL
One of our black sex links is ill and we are at a loss what to do for her. She was just sitting in the coop for a while like she didnt want to wake up in the morning. We could encourage her and she would come out and eat and drink and run around a bit. Then she spends most all day sitting in the coop (no not on eggs). Then she would only open one eye. Now she hardly opens either eye. We have separated her to a kennell on our porch by herself. She just lays there. she will pick up her head (sometimes) if she hears a loud noise but then just lays her head back down. I really dont think she is eating or drinking. Forced some water down her but she just doesnt seem to respond. Every day we expecgt to find her gone but for some reason she is hanging on. We just are at a loss. Any suggestions?

I don't know what happened to her, but I would try some antibiotics as a start. Good luck!

One of our black sex links is ill and we are at a loss what to do for her. She was just sitting in the coop for a while like she didnt want to wake up in the morning. We could encourage her and she would come out and eat and drink and run around a bit. Then she spends most all day sitting in the coop (no not on eggs). Then she would only open one eye. Now she hardly opens either eye. We have separated her to a kennell on our porch by herself. She just lays there. she will pick up her head (sometimes) if she hears a loud noise but then just lays her head back down. I really dont think she is eating or drinking. Forced some water down her but she just doesnt seem to respond. Every day we expecgt to find her gone but for some reason she is hanging on. We just are at a loss. Any suggestions?
Have you checked for mites/Lice...this is how two of ours died a few weeks ago, symptoms sound exactly the same...is she underweight and lethargic ? - sounds similar ...

I lifted her feathers and looked around. Dont know how obvious mites or lice would be but I dont see anything. She has lost some feathers and looks like she should be molting. She is lethargic. doesnt want to get up and walk around at all. She seems underweight. She wont open her eyes. I do have another one that has a bald spot on her back. I thought she was molting but the feathers never came back there.

I lifted her feathers and looked around. Dont know how obvious mites or lice would be but I dont see anything. She has lost some feathers and looks like she should be molting. She is lethargic. doesnt want to get up and walk around at all. She seems underweight. She wont open her eyes. I do have another one that has a bald spot on her back. I thought she was molting but the feathers never came back there.
Mites are the size of a pin head, really small, she sounds really poorly, the only other thing it could be if is worms, have you wormed your chickens, - if it it mites or lice, I suggest you use Frontline, it what they use for cats, but its the only thing that has worked for me, but if it is mites, your chicken will be sufffering blood loss, mites literally eat chickens alive and they get anaemic until they are so sick they just fade away, I know its awful, but we found this out because it happened to us... (thats of course if it is mites) but suggest you use frontline on all they others to be on the safe side....just a couple of drops on the back of their neck with a syringe dropper....sorry I can't be anymore help.....so sad..

Seems our little miss Leafy is getting better every day. We tried antibiotics from the feed store but they were not working very well. Got 7 days of antibiotic shots from our vet and she is responding better and better daily. The first day she opened her eyes some. Now she is opening her eyes all the time, she is eating and drinking and up and running around. She is still isolated until all the shots are given and she is all better so the others dont beat her up. Thank you for everyone's advise.

Back
Top Bottom