Unsure about the cause of "notches" missing from tail feathers...

rozzzatar

In the Brooder
May 6, 2019
Athol, Massachusetts
Yesterday I noticed one of my bantam hens had 3 what I would call notches missing from some of her tail feathers. At that point no other birds had anything else like it. Then this morning I noticed one of my roosters and another hen had them as well. Upon further inspection the, whole flock is normal/healthy, no parasites, with the exception of these three birds and their notched tails.

The notches are clean cut-outs from a full feather as if I took scissors and snipped off a middle portion and left everything else.

Does anyone know what I've got going on here?

I will post pictures later today when I can.

Bright side #1 being I have Tractor Supply Co right in town and they have the Ivermectin Pour-On in stock. Bright side #2 for the most part all my birds try and jump into my lap upon entering their area so applying it shouldn't be too bad.

Sad that their first REAL feathers are going to carry this damage till they have their first molt. Especially the golden sebright hen and silver duckwing rooster :( But as long as they're on the road back to healthy that's all that matters!

THANK YOU ALL!

I realize that it doesn't fit your chickens usual narrative but I had this happen a few months back and it did end up being a rotation in pecking order. My then alpha was taking the brunt and initially I thought a hawk had bitten off a few before she fled into the coop.

Your description of scissor cuts is dead on with what was wrong with my girl. It eventually happened to a couple of my birds (small flock) and the one responsible eventually emerged as alpha. I would have bet money on it being anything else, initially.

Hmmmm I've had this happen multiple times and it was the roosters arguing over their favorite hens if it is not them I'm not sure what it could be. Frankly I'm pretty stumped, I dont discredit you knowledge of your flock or you chicken sense but I cant think of anything else

I do have two roosters, however, they're only 6 weeks old and haven't started acting "roostery" quite yet. I do have a home for one if they start getting into scuffles. But hoping they will figure out their pecking order and I can keep both.

The potential that they have Quill Mites is what I'm going to treat them for and go from their.

Stress Bars
Feather growth requires a myriad of nutrients for normal feather development. Therefore, if there is disruption in the assimilation of nutrients during the time of feather development, this will result in the production of stress bars on the feathers. Stress bars appear as black or depigmented lines that transect a feather, and multiple lines may occur at different levels on the feathers, if multiple bouts of disruption have occurred. If a young bird develops gastro-intestinal problems, digestive disturbances, prolonged chilling or periods when it is not fed (nor fed enough), this will result in the production of stress bars at the same level on all the feathers that were developing during that time.

It may well be feather mites. They live on the chicken and you should be able to see them if you look carefully.
If not, the above can cause similar.

I thought pecking/pulling from other members of the flock as well but it doesn't really jive. The feathers are totally intact minus these little 1/4 inch portions. Plus the second hen to present with it is my bossy girl and I've not seen anyone ever mess with her.

I've got a roof covered coop/run combo which they are confined to at night and a large attached hawk net covered run for daytime use.

No signs of predators(of any size) having entered the night coop/run combo. I checked inside the coop for any "non chicken" droppings, markings, etc and nothing.

Back
Top Bottom