Unsure of these little guys...

Milkshake

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Narnia, Australia
Hello all Milkshake here :frow

So a couple of days ago I received 3 one week old chicks and a three day old chick (all related) and I was told they were Rhode Island reds, the older one is starting to get brown on its feathers but another is growing white, I am unsure if they are in fact rhode's and/or if they are purebred. Thoughts? :/

Rhode Island Reds hatch a darker color...more red. Not sure what yours are either. If they are yellow and start to feather out dark that could be a number of breeds. Do they have any distinguishing features? Feathered legs? Pea comb? Extra toes? What color are their legs? More pics would be helpful.

Their coloring is typical result of crossing white Leghorn with something else. Since they were sold as RIR, perhaps they really are Leghorn- RIR crosses? The chicks would fit that kind of cross so far...

May be easier to make some guesses as they get older, for example they may show some hints of the Leghorn type making my suggestion a good guess. However if they turn out with 'heavy type' they could be Red sex link crossed with a solid black dual purpose type breed such as Australorp or possibly even Red sex link bred with a Black sex link...

Back
Top Bottom