Unusual behavior?

acro1010

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
One of my hens went after another today with raised hackles? I think that's the name for it. Is that normal hen behavior? It's also a hen (that was attacked/warned) that always seems to stay in the back when the other two come near me and she makes a noise like she's annoyed with me. Just curious and concerned.

In my limited experience, the fluffing of the neck feathers and holding the head high and charging into each other is their way of saying "I'm the boss". Seems like very typical hen behavior.

In my limited experience, the fluffing of the neck feathers and holding the head high and charging into each other is their way of saying "I'm the boss". Seems like very typical hen behavior.
That's exactly what it is @tcstoehr !! I have a very small flock, 4 Black Australorp "ladies". One of them on almost a daily basis will raise her neck up, fluff up her neck feathers (hackles) and flap her wings, as if to say "I'm the baddest of the bad...steer clear" ... which the other three most certainly do!!
gig.gif

My more dominant hens will do the same thing. It's just their way of telling the other hens that they are the boss and keeping the pecking order intact.

Boy, that IS strange!! Gutsy little chicken!!
yippiechickie.gif
Yeah and it seems she is getting away with it too. They have a little more growing to do so maybe she'll be bigger who knows. They're about 17 weeks old right now so not much more growing.

Back
Top Bottom