Unusual Fluid-filled Sack in the Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Omelette, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Omelette

Omelette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Today, when I cracked some eggs, I noticed a small white fluid filled sack in the bowl. I've never seen anything like this. I am uploading a picture, but my Internet is slow today. In the meantime, I'm wondering if it is ok to proceed with my waffles.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? The birds appear to be healthy.

Thanks!

2. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    Here's a photo. It's about half the size of the bottom of a drinking glass.

[​IMG]

3. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

It almost looks like the white developed outside the membrane? [​IMG] Hopefully someone with more experience will know.

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

how old is this chicken who laid it. It looks like 2 eggs got stuck inside the other.

5. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    I think this came from a 2 year-old hen. The problem is, I didn't notice it until all 4 eggs were cracked into the bowl. Anyway, my waffles turned out terrible. I ran out of all-purpose flour and used bread flour. The waffles may be going back to the girls.

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

well It looks like the egg somehow got caught inside another egg. usually this happens in younger hens that are just laying.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm courious too. I never have seen anything like it. Maybe someone has, I hope! Very interesting. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    Perhaps my young Orpington has just began to lay and this is her first one. If so, that is very exciting as I didn't think she would start until some time in November.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by