Unusual type of breathing

Agia

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Halifax, United Kingdom
Good people, I need your opinion, I can’t find answers anywhere.

I have some 3 week old Wyandotte chicks, one of them has an unusual type of breathing where her bits between eyes and nostrils and underneath her beak bloat out when she inhales and goes in when she exhales. Is this a sign of things to come or nothing to worry about? Looks perfectly healthy everywhere else eats and drinks properly.

Many thanks!
Greetings from UK

I'm sorry I should have been here sooner! You chick has only 1 fuctional nostril. I have a hen with the same defect, she breathes but instead of the air making an exit it just goes into the sinus cavity. I found this out trying to fit her with pinless peepers. She's almost 3 now and she mouth breathes a lot in hot weather but otherwise she's ok. :) Again sorry to be late.

I would agree a deformity of some sort. They have a soft pallet just like a person. Can you look in the chicks mouth and see anything?

I would say if it seems to breathe ok now it should be fine. I would keep an eye on it as it may be more susceptible to respiratory infections or injury but I think it wouldn’t know the difference. It’s always breathed that way.

I agree with a deformity in the soft palate. The other possibility is that her throat or trachea are not as rigid as they should be, and get slightly more narrow when it inhales. Either way, keep an eye on it for respiratory infections or breathing problems like what someone with asthma would have with the environment. Also, be prepared for it to have a shorter life span than the others, and take every day that it is as a gift. I'm not saying it's in imminent danger, I'm saying don't be surprised. Do your best with it, and whatever happens, know you're giving it the best chance at being a really cool chicken. I hope it turns out to be the best chicken you've ever had.

Staceyj thank you for the reply.

She was always breathing this way since she hatched, however I thought it might only be this way for a short period of time.

She is 3 weeks old now and still breathing the same way; she is breathing through the nose with its beak closed, she is very active and playing with her siblings.
She is kept with her siblings that were hatched at the same time as her.

I was wondering if this will cause any problems to the chick in the future?

1C20BFC0-DE73-428E-B67C-C4C8A1DF5AED.jpeg
D45DA636-C07C-46B4-BD65-BA7B7517C2B1.jpeg

I was going to ask if it does that on both sides or just the one.

It does make sense if only one nostril was open the pressure from breathing through just one would poof out the side of it’s face.

It seems to be doing fine and I would expect it to continue to do well. It doesn’t know it only has one open nostril so it should adapt just fine.

Back
Top Bottom