Unwanted attention.

The Witte Fam

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
Victoria TX
I am new to keeping a rooster. I have an 8 month old rooster who is trying to mount one of my 11 week old Easter Eggers hens. He is terrorizing her. She wants nothing to do with him. Is this normal? I have 2 other rooster that are of similar age and neither of them are doing this to any of my hens. Should I separate him for a while or just rehome him?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I'd get rid of him, or separate him. But he needs to be separate from any girls in the meantime, as he could hurt them. But getting rid of him is probably a better choice, as you already have 2 boys and they're probably much more well behaved than him. If he was a good boy he wouldn't be mounting an 11 week old pullet.

At 8 months old, he's still young and has a lot of hormone activity. A good wel behaved cockerel or rooster shouldn't be harassing any females, especially young ones.
I would definitely separate him if possible or come up with some other solution. Not necessarily get rid of him if you like him and want to have a male in your flock, but it's no good if you're poor pullet can't get away from him and hes being harassed constantly.
You can try re introducing in a few weeks and see if his behavior is modified. Hopefully he will figure out what hes doing and it's not a chronic issue.

It is not that I believe that you need so many hens for each rooster, but more that I think the more roosters you have, the more apt to have problems.

What is your flock size? Personally I would not have 3 roosters with less than 30-45 chickens. You need a lot of space for that many roos.

Mrs K
I have 28 hens, 2 of my roosters are bantams only 1 is a full size.

Back
Top Bottom