Unwanted Cockerels

roostercluck

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Arkansas
I have 6 unwanted cockerels of a cross between a barred rock rooster and a silver laced wyandotte hen. I don't really want to eat them because I don't know how to kill them, clean the meat, all that stuff. I've done some research, but I am afraid that I will just make them suffer and then not eat them. Should I sell them? If so for how much and to who? I am worried that no one will want them because they are mutts. Much advice would be helpful.

Can you see if there is a poultry processor nearby? Do you know any hunters? Any sportsman's clubs around where you can find someone to help you? Or check on the Arkansas thread or maybe even in the Meat Bird forum.

You'll be lucky if ypu can give them away. No one wants cockerels.

Give them to anyone who will take them and be done with it.

I'm hunting for someone to take my one year old rooster. I wish I had the guts to cull him but I can't bring myself to do it. He's so beautiful but LOUD. He's driving everyone nets with the crowing before daylight. I'm afraid I may have 2 more babies too.:(

Thank y'all for the help. I'm going to try to find a processing plant, and if that doesn't work I might have to let nature take its course
sad.png

At a processing plant, they will die by the hands of some stranger with no feelings for them, with other things on his mind, doing the job as quickly, cheaply, and conveniently for himself as possible. If they must die, do you not think it would be better for them for it to happen at home?

If you take them to be processed, they will die a quick, humane death by someone experienced in killing an animal for food. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Far better, in my opinion, than letting "nature take its course" . The roosters have no idea who has what on their mind as they're being processed....

The meat bird section is a great place to learn how to kill and clean your unwanted birds if you're inclined to do so. At our house we use the hatchet and stump method, as we feel it's the fastest and most humane death.

Personally, I'd rather have my birds processed by someone who doesn't have any feelings for them but does a quick, efficient and humane job of it than by loving but inexperienced, teary-eyed and bumbling me.

If you take them to be processed, they will die a quick, humane death by someone experienced in killing an animal for food. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Far better, in my opinion, than letting "nature take its course" . The roosters have no idea who has what on their mind as they're being processed....

The meat bird section is a great place to learn how to kill and clean your unwanted birds if you're inclined to do so. At our house we use the hatchet and stump method, as we feel it's the fastest and most humane death.

X 2 - if you can't do a quick, efficient job of it and keep your emotions out of the way of getting that done, it is better for the birds to have someone who can.

Back
Top Bottom