Unwanted coop resident

bbRedMom

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
Central Arkansas
I think I found what was eating my chickens...He was living above the roost in a hidey hole I didn't know existed. He got lazy and was drifting his head down-thats when I snatched him!

IMGP0199.jpg

IMGP0201.jpg

IMGP0203.jpg

Ugh! Do you know what kind of snake it is?

And, I'm happy to see that someone besides me employs an umbrella as part of their chicken tending tool set. Mine is particularly handy for herding them back into the run when they don't want to go. I guess there is something menacing about an opening-and-closing umbrella.
big_smile.png

He is/was a beauty! Good sized snake, but he would only be capable of eating very small standard chickens, or certainly bantam breeds. What kinds of chickens have gone missing?

It's a black rat snake (commonly just called a black snake)- could eat small chicks and does eat mice and rats but they're never going to be big enough to eat a larger chicken. However, they will eat eggs. I actually bring "strays" home from unsafe places and turn them loose on my property; if I find one interested in the chickens I'll just relocate it to my parents' farm down the road. IMHO the benefits of this snake far outweigh the threat (at least at my house).

Back
Top Bottom