Unwell chick please help- possible wryneck?

chickmumjo

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2018
Hi, (sorry for long first post)
I'm completely new to any kind of chicken keeping really and I've had 3 chicks hatch at work by my [irresponsible] boss. Basically 2 chicks hatched fine but one pipped and got stuck in the egg for what must have been 30+hours. He was still cheeping away but the membrane had dried and his wing was stuck to his face etc. I got him out the egg and unstuck then returned him to the incubator overnight n hoped for the best. This morn I thought he was dead but he was just asleep. Unfortunately not in a good way. His toes were curled and 1 leg splayed and he can't support his head. He is hanging it low to the ground and this is obv also hindering his mobility and ability to feed himself.
I've taped his toes and braced his legs and he is now able to stand but his head is still a problem.

I had no idea what to give him or how much so I've given what I thought would benefit him. So he's had a little Avipro via a dipped straw. That has some electrolytes and vit e in (which I heard could help with wry neck). I tried to put some starter crumb in his mouth but he was having none of it. I also gave him a little oil from a vitamin e capsule later in the day too.
I have since brought him home and given him a little sugar in water(I left the avipro at work) and then I've made some crumb/sugar water paste mixed with some boiled egg yolk as I was concerned he spent so long in the egg and not eaten at all... hes had about 2ml of that mix. I bought some selenium and brewers yeast coz I couldn't remember what I needed when at the shop! He hasn't had any of that yet.
Someone please help me, I'm not sure how much I should feed n water him and how often? Is this head hanging thing fixable or is he deformed? Help please!

Attachments

• 20181110_163818.jpg
    20181110_163818.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 25
How old is this chick? he looks pretty new, and might still be learning to hold his head up. chicks will usually feed when they want to, but if the little dude can't eat, you'll want to give him water every 20 minutes or so. the chicks like to drink lots of water when they are new. food about every...40 minutes? I'm not sure. if he seems hungry and is peeping a lot, hold a handful of food, or put some water in your hands, then use your other hand to dip his beak in a little. if he won't drink, and simply lays his head in the water, take his head out. (obviously. you'll be able to tell if he's actually swallowing the water/food.)

He was helped out of the egg 28hours ago.. but he was stuck in the egg after pipping for a long while possibly even 48hours and he's done a couple of big poops so I was worried that he's gonna have no yolk left in his tum and he's very vocal so possibly hungry?
He can barely lift his head or walk properly so I'm worried about him actually making it to the feeders let alone feeding himself.. His siblings are strutting about the brooder but he's not anywhere near doing that. I feel like this isn't just a learning curve for him..
How much water should I be giving him? I don't want to give him so much he drowns. I'm having to lift his head so he can swallow as he can't so it himself. :(

Hi Thanks for your reply. He is still with us. I've just checked on him and sorted out his pasty butt. Yes he has warmth and im just about to give him more water but i still dont know how much to be giving him.. dont know any more than i did yesterday really :(

He sounds like hes making a little clicking noise when breathing.. is that a respiratory problem? :(

.. still unsure if im doing anyrhing right. If I post this somewhere else in the forum am I more likely to get help?

His toes were curled and 1 leg splayed and he can't support his head. He is hanging it low to the ground

I've taped his toes and braced his legs and he is now able to stand but his head is still a problem.

I feel like this isn't just a learning curve for him..

Hi Thanks for your reply. He is still with us. I've just checked on him and sorted out his pasty butt. Yes he has warmth and im just about to give him more water but i still dont know how much to be giving him.. dont know any more than i did yesterday really :(

He sounds like hes making a little clicking noise when breathing.. is that a respiratory problem? :(

.. still unsure if im doing anyrhing right. If I post this somewhere else in the forum am I more likely to get help?
Thank you for your patience:)
With a chick like that all you can do is try to keep them hydrated, warm and offer some food.

If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give her a couple of drops by beak each day.
For food, a wet slushy mash made out of chick starter would be good.

Some chicks that struggle to hatch and have leg and/or neck issues just fail to thrive. You are doing all you can for this little one at this time:hugs
Keep us posted.

Thanks for your reply. :) I'm doing what I can and hoping it will be enough for him to become strong. I don't have nutridrench I'm afraid.
He has made progress today. I see him lifting his head more often and being more upright, though he does still end up with his butt in the air and head on the ground again eventually- it must be such hard work for him, bless him.
I really hope he makes it.

He doesn't seem to want to peck at anything tho? But then again I am putting stuff into his mouth for him so maybe that's hindering the instinct to peck? Or maybe his neck isn't strong enough to do any pecking yet?

Back
Top Bottom