Up to our ankles in goose POOP already! Help!

M0therGoose

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Houston area, Texas
We live in the city and I have 2 baby goslings running around our backyard - they are only about a month old now and our yard is covered with poop! and its starting to smell and attract flies!! And we can't step out onto our back porch without stepping into poop!! I made the mistake of leaving my shoes out yesterday and they have pooped all over them!!

IS there any way to manage this mess??? I know i could put up a barrier around the porch to keep them off or hose it down everyday but what about the back yard? I have 4 kids who play back there all the time!! ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE???

We have a very large side yard that is fenced off with a swimming pool and have thought about letting them over there but I am afraid they will jump in the pool! I even thought of rotating them back and forth between the 2 yards but we still have a problem with the pool.

Suggestions anyone?

I would section off an area of the yard just for them..... and then clean it regularly. It will be easier to manage if it's contained and they don't have free run of the whole yard.

I wouldnt let them in the area with the pool unless you want a pool full of poop!

Good luck!

Nancy

And they WILL get bigger and their poop will get bigger. My ducks are 8 weeks old and I have found that just in the last week it seems I have lots more poop too. But, I don't have kids in the backyard so that makes for another issue. I would probably contain them also.

I will warn you they will also get louder. I am concerned that my pekin is so loud that she will bother the neighbors. Good luck with your poo!

Quote:
I keep a pen in my yard to contain my ducks at night (see website, scroll till you see pen :) and I lay down a thin layer of straw. About every 2 or 3 days (would be less with 2) I rake up the straw, lay it on my garden or put in my compost pile (or you could put it in a special trash can) and then start over with a new layer. That seems to gather the poo pretty well.

When I fill my duck's water bucket every day I hit the poop with the hose so it melts away. It really only takes a couple of minutes.

Now poop on the porch...that is getting on my nerves. We are looking at some fencing for that issue
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom