***UPDATE...ALL DEAD :( ***Female duck went missing, now what??

sadies chicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Northwest
So I go out 6:30am Monday morning to feed everyone and find that I am only counting 3 ducks.....3.......where is the other girl?!!?!! I am frantically running around looking for her....mind you I am 5 1/2 months pregnant, it is POURING rain and crazy howling winds.....I am late to start getting ready for my meeting and am walking on the main road in my PJ's looking for anything white, half in tears. They are white crested peking ducks, gorgeous. I can't find her. I still can't find her and I have NO IDEA where or how or why or what???? We don't have issues with racoons or any other predators and if we did our dog would alert us. There is no evidence of foul play, no feathers, the other ducks are not spooked. It is just like she vanished.

So, now I am left with two males and poor Sweetie who looks to now be taking all of their attention. Knowing from past posts, I know I need to act fast and either get more females to help out poor Sweetie distribute the males "needs" (out of the question, I am getting ready for a baby and already have a dog, a cat and 9 chickens to tend to, let alone a husband....) or I need to rehome them (sound solution).

Does anyone ever have a duck leave and come back? I will go through this weekend to see if we are able to find her... but I think that is a far stretch...
sad.png

Just wanted to share and get some thoughts.

Thanks everyone and have a most safe and happy Thanksgiving. I will update this weekend.

These are ducks, the one missing is in the far back.
87534_duck.png

Last edited:
hugs.gif
i agree with the possibility of a hidden nest. Also yes i have had birds leave then comeback in a few days.

They haven't started laying yet and they were in an enclosed gated area. There is still alot of land for us to search, we are on a half acre along with our neighbors and we haven't had a chance to explore their yards yet. I will stay hopeful for the nesting theory!! Thanks!
hugs.gif

(I really don't want to get rid of them, one of the happiest things for me is to see them swimming in their pool
love.gif
and I would miss it!!!)

So this morning I went out to feed everyone and the three remaining ducks were gone. Nothing but feathers and blood told me they had been taken by a predator. At this time we are thinking coyote, they (and this is news to me) have been seen in my neighbor's yard. I am so sad and feel horrible knowing they were being stalked. I wish I knew so I could have done something but that is all in hindsight. Maybe in the summer I will try again and we will build a new enclosure for them with more protection.

My wonderful, white-as-snow "puppies" are gone. I am so happy I was able to provide them a loving home with a pool that they could swim in and all the peas they could eat. I loved them all, mostly my "sweetie", she was the honker of the group. I loved that sound.

Rest in peace my beautiful birds, I loved you greatly.

87534_duck.png

Back
Top Bottom