update chick are surviving the incubator :lol: ha ha

quintinp

Songster
9 Years
Oct 22, 2010
Southern Oklahoma
well i set 18 eggs, and they have been in the incubator for 4 days now and i couldn't resist but candle them today, out of the 18 egg 3 were infertile, so now i am at #15 i hope they can make it from here i am so excited lol!!!!!

Thats great. I have just finished incubating 12 chicken eggs and 5 turkey eggs. I only got three healthy chicks. Out of the 9 fertile chick eggs 6 hatched. 3 of the had trouble coming out. two of those died. Two of the chicks had spayed legs and I used a banaid to help them. One died but I think it had something wrong with its back it couldn't lift its head. The other still will not use his right leg but is getting around. He is smaller than the rest. He eats and drinks fine.

As for the turkeys only 3 were fertile. One died coming out of the shell. One has the same problem the chick with the bad back has. I expect him to die soon. Dont know what to do. And the third on was born with only one eye and a bad beak.

I have incubated three times and the first time I hand turned them and we got 12 out of 13 chicks. The last two times I used an egg turner, and we didn't get a good hatch in either case. Could it be the egg turner causing this problem?

I am afraid of having another set of eggs.

Brenda

i have heard from someone saying that the egg turner was the problem, they thought it caused too much vibration for the embryos to take,,, maybe it is the turner???????

i have a pvc pipe egg turner that turns the eggs all at once... that i use from the outside of my homemade incubator,,,,,, i turn my eggs in the morning and at night... and i dry incubate,,,,,, it works great..... my last hatch with this incubator was 9 out of 9 he he i love that hatch rate

Back
Top Bottom