*UPDATE* Dog Got A Chick

candy37

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
South Texas
Yesterday I had the chicks outside in a pen. When rounding them up to go back in for the night, my son said one was still lose. I did a quick count and told him I had them all...I was wrong.
Somehow the chick made it through the night alone. This morning though, its luck ran out. My dog caught her this morning & my son found the dog enjoying her snack.
I took the chick away from her, but how do I stop her from doing it again?
I've heard about tying the dead chick to the dog's neck and that is supposed to stop her from killing another one. Does anyone know if this works?
Does anyone have any other ways to stop the dog?
BTW, I didn't punish the dog. Told her she was bad, took the chick away and that was it. She's a bird dog, doing what comes natural...but I really need her not to do it again.

Last edited:
My dog has free range of our 100 acres. She is wonderful at keeping critters away and killing the ones that aren't warned off. She never eats her kills (except rabbits), but leaves them for us to find and praise her for. The fact that she was eating the chick is extremely odd.
My chicks are too young to free range but we want to free range them when they get a little older.
There has to be a way to keep the dog from killing them without having to confine the dog or chickens.
Anyone have any methods for training the dog to not kill them?

Don't do it. You have to catch the dog in the act of chasing and killing then punish right away to teach the dog not to kill those particular birds.

Last edited:
Thanks Wren.
I don't want to tie a dead bird to Mona (my dog). She's so sweet and loving, it just seems a horrible thing to do to her. Of course, I have such a hard time punishing her because she's so sweet and loving. Honestly, in the 4 years we've had her, she's only needed to be punished 3 times...and never repeated the offense again.
I know the mistake was mine in not punishing her immediately when Mona was found eating the chick.
I want to let the chicks out in their pen again. I guess I'll sit outside with them and scold Mona everytime she goes to their pen. Maybe that will be enough. She's a smart dog and learns everything quickly so I've got my fingers crossed. I hate to punish her, she's only doing what comes natural:(

Dogs are predators and usually are set off when prey runs. Maybe your dog was chasing your birds. There isn't a whole lot of options if you don't want to confine your dog or chickens. Maybe a good size rooster or maybe a burro(donkey) would chase her off if she threatens your birds. The least favorite option would find the dog another home. I sympathize with your plight and hope there can be a alternative to your solution.

She might've thought that the chick was a mouse or something..so I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.
Folks have had good luck with training their dogs not to bother the chickens, but it depends on the dog itself.
Some you can tell NO once and that will be that, some just are blockheads and nothing will stop them.

Yes ROOSTER
Funny you should say that cuz my hound (while on a leash) got too close to my Leghorn Rooster - I let them get to know each other when my Rooster was new.....
Clifford my dog moved too fast for Kernel and Kernel lunged at his nose - when Clifford turned to run - Kernel poked him in the bum - yup

Clifford has never gone around them again.

So my Rooster episode worked pretty good and it was totally not even planned!

MY CURE
lol.png

kerreyfamily087.jpg

Kerri

Quote:
Finding a new home for her is not an option at all. The chickens will go before she does.
I know some of you may not agree with that; there are some serious chicken lovers around here!
big_smile.png
She's the best dog my husband or I have ever had and she belongs to my son (she was a Christmas gift 2003).
I'm fairly certain if I stay outside while the chicks are in their pen and keep scolding anytime she heads their way that she will understand they are off limits. If not, then I guess they won't free range when they are older. Of course there is always Kerr's rooster I may ask to borrow to help teach my dog a lesson!

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.

Last edited:
My wonderful, best in the world shepherd mix ate my favorite chick when she was about eight weeks old. It was all my fault and I still feel awful. I don't blame my dog. I did scold him verbally but realized right then that I could never trust him with my chickens. He is the protector of all the animals and people here (he was protecting the chicks so no one else could eat them!
hmm.png
) and keeps all 'unwanteds' off our property.

I still wanted to free range my chickens so I decided to lock up my dog while the chickens free range. The chickens get out for two to three hours each evening with my dog in the garage during that time. About one day a week I put the dog in sooner so the chickens have most of the day to free range. It isn't the solution I had hoped for but it keeps the chickens happy and the dog out of trouble.

Good luck and hope you can keep both the dog and the chickens!!

Back
Top Bottom