*UPDATE* Dog Got A Chick

We have three dogs - one is never allowed near the chickens by himself as he thinks they make such wonderful play toys:( When the chickens are out, he's in the dog run (not a horrible thing given it's about a half an acre). One has never bothered the chickens (except to steal their food) and the other I managed to train by simply keeping her on leash and walking around the chickens. Whenever she would start to make even the slightest move toward them I would give a sharp pull on the leash and say "leave it". She already knew the "leave it" command (amazingly, one of the few she will listen to). You might try something like that. The water gun is a good one, too. But you may have to resolve yourself that the chickies and dog will never be able to free-range together. I love my dogs and won't give up the chicken killer - I just had to figure out how to make that work.

Yesterday my husband finally had time off work and helped me with Mona and the chicks.
My husband sat with Mona and a water hose while I put the chicks in their outdoor pen for playtime. Everytime Mona went that way, he told her "no," and sprayed her with hose. It took a couple of times before she gave up, but she finally settled down beside him and watched the chicks from a distance.
After 2 hours we went inside and watched her through the window. After a few minutes, realizing she was alone, Mona headed for them again. We were outside in a flash, before she got too close. She got a swat on the nose, a very stern no, and was led away (out of eyesight). We continued to watch her...she didn't even glance at them after that.
Today when I put the chicks outside in their pen, Mona wandered over but stayed several feet away. She sniffed a bit and then walked away and lay down. She hasn't even looked their way since.
I know when they move outside for good instead of just a few hours of playtime, we'll probably have to go through this again to teach her to stay away, but she seems to understand for now.
There may be hope for free-ranging yet...
big_smile.png

Candy,

I have had a similar problem with my Great Pyrenese. He wasn't raised with chickens, (only goats) so he didn't know what to do other than grab them and shake them. I put him on a leash and took him to the coop. I stood with him and let him smell the chickens at a distance. Needless to say the chickens weren't too happy at all. I then let him get close to a couple and as he went for them I just gave him a pop on the head and a stern "NO". We did this every day for 4 days. On the 5th day I walked him in and gave him a bunch of line on his leash. He just sniffed and watched them and didn't even seem interested. I haven't had a problem with him since. I know you don't want to hurt her while teaching her not to kill but our dogs are like our kids, you have to correct them no matter how much it hurts you for THEIR sake.

I think they just see something moving i.e. a ball or some other sort of toy and then it tastes good once they bite down. With a little work you can teach her that they aren't toys or snacks.

Good luck with them and God Bless,

ChickenOrTheEgg

Wow! I started that last post before yours came up!

Sounds like your trying what I just said. Good for you! Just keep being stern and she'll get it.

God Bless,

ChickenOrTheEgg

Last edited:
Looks like you've got a lot of good advice, and I don't quite have time to read all but I wanted to say this before I log off ...

You said your dog responds well to correction? I had a couple of German Shepherds which were extremely trainable. I could teach them not to do/go/touch/whatever anything I wanted by simply telling them.

What I would do was put the dog on a leash (usually) and then walk to the thing I wanted left alone. I would tap it, and tell them "NO! That's a NO!" (edited to add that this was accompanied by a quick little jerk on the leash, not to hurt them but make a point) I'd take a couple of steps away, then turn and repeat. A number of times, from many angles. By the time I'd get to the third or so repetition, the dog would be looking at me like "I KNOW I'm not supposed to touch it, I promise, I never will!" I'd still put them through it a little longer. And usually in several successive sessions, sometimes over a few days.

That always did the trick with these particular dogs. If it was something important, I would go on to "test" or "tempt" them in some way. If they weren't supposed to go into an area, I'd place a very delicious treat, or their favorite toy, or something there, and pretend not to realize it was there. I'd watch them, so that I could correct them if they decided to misbehave with a temptation. (I don't think that ever happened after the previous training.)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that in case it helps. What you said about your dog just reminded me of those two (I sure wish I still had them!!!) and I thought of how easy it would have been for me to teach them to leave chickens alone.

(One of my dogs had no fondness for cats, and had to live with one for a while. I let him know the cat had to be left alone, and he did. Problem was the cat knew it too, and delighted in teasing him and baiting him mercilessly for months. The dog never did go after the cat though. Good boy!)

Did I say I miss that dog? Sigh ... he died of old age about 10 years ago.

trish

LOL I should have kept reading to the 3rd page. ChickenOrTheEgg gave pretty much the exact same advice I did, and I see you've got Mona coming along anyway. Glad to hear it!

Last edited:
Yesterday was a horrible day. Mona got 12 chicks.
She ignored them the day before, & ignored them most of the day yesterday. She was alone with them outside (chicks in their pen) for 4 hours & not one feather was harmed. Mona was with me the rest of the day, clearing land outback. I came inside to clean up to go get my son from football practice & then go grocery shopping. Mona was outside 30 minutes. When I walked outside to go get my son, there were 12 dead chicks scattered from their pen, across the yard, & around the side of the house to where the dog sleeps. I smacked Mona on the nose, made her drop the chick in her mouth, & put her on a cable to keep her from the remaining chicks.
My husband is furious, I'm heart broken, & my son is afraid we'll shoot his dog. I thought about it, but decided against it.

The part that my husband & I don't understand is 5 hours after Mona was tied up, we found another chick dead in the pen. He says it died from injuries. This morning, 17 hours after Mona was seperated from the chicks, I found another one dead. They are on the back porch at night & I am positive Mona can't get to them so how did it die? I looked it over & it didn't look like anything was wrong, just that it died. Now there's one outside in their pen that isn't moving around much...just sitting there and sleeping. I put its beak in the water & it drank a tiny bit after that but stopped. It is just sitting there; sleeping unless another chick bumps it or I reach in & pet it. Why did the last two die?

Oh, and husband says so much for free-ranging. We'll have to fence them off from Mona but at least we'll still have them.

Last edited:
I don't know why people don't listen when myself and others say KEEP THE DOG AWAY FROM CHICKS!!! Sounds so simple.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom