*Update*HATCHED!Then there were two!

Threecritters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Lansing
Hi...I'm new and this is my first hatch. All my eggs have really nice size air sacs like what I have seen in diagrams for the size they should be at this point...except one. The air sac is maybe a hair bigger around than a nickel. Will it be okay? What would cause one egg out of 5 to be different? It is a standard size light tan colored egg. The chick inside is hard to see as all is dark but I can still see movement in what tiny bit of space exists below the air cell...so I know it's alive. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Lock them down and let it hatch! I've seen all sorts of funky air sacs, ones that wrap around the side, unless it's a detached air sac (like a bubble moving around when you move the egg) it shouldn't be a problem. If you have a detached air sac, you can have better luck with them to hatch them in egg cartons.

I agree I'v seen some wacky air cells and have had them hatch. They are stronger then we think...I dropped an egg on day 18 moving it from egg turner to hatcher and the little guy hatched anyways cracked the whole side on the egg.

Thanks for your replies! I am learning lots on this forum!
pop.gif

I did take one last peek before loocking them down and the air cell is definitely not attached. It's going to be so hard not being able to peek inside the eggs anymore! (I think I'm a candle-aholic...
hide.gif
)

When should I expect them to pip internally? Not that I will know now when they do...but they haven't yet. There is movement inside the eggs so I know they are alive...but the eggs aren't rocking or anything...when should they? Or maybe they won't? I have them in a carton for hatching since they were already in one for incubation, but they fit loosely inside the carton.
hu.gif

Since they are in cartons you probably won't see much wiggling. I don't have a lot of experience but I hatch in cartons and don't see wiggling. When they internally pip you could hear them peeping at that time. I don't really hear it since the sound of the bator fan kinda drowns it out but it is possible to hear them. Mostly, all you can do is sit back and wait. I know how hard it is, I have 22 in the bator right now that started hatching this morning and I am DYING to see all of them out of their eggs!
wink.png

Quote:
I like to check on them alot...LOL I tap the windows with my finger sometimes you can hear them chirping inside the egg thats when you know they have piped internally.

Ok it's day 20 and I'm a nervous wreck LOL

I have 2 eggs on day 20 today (day 21 starts at 6pm)...I haven't heard peeping yet and nothing has pipped. One of the eggs is quite a bit smaller than the other...I think one is from a banty and the other standard (?)...I got the eggs from someone so I have no idea. Anyways, the brown standard looking egg has quite a small air cell still. The white banty looking egg has a HUGE air cell that is funny shaped (it almost doubled in size since yesterday)...it's like, almost half the egg! What is going on...? They were both alive as I could see little bitty movements as of lockdown time on day 19.

Help!

ETA: My humidity is at 65%

Last edited:
if neither smells or is weepy, i'd be inclined to let them go for a few more days

i had ten bbs orpington eggs that were sent in the mail, two of the ten were very small, if i had an unlimited supply of eggs i wouldn't have even bothered trying to hatch these little guys.

my first chick out came from one of those little eggs.

IT CHEEPED! The little egg with the huge air sac chirped at me!! (And my hubby heard it too...so I'm not hearing things
lau.gif

Now if only it would pip and COME OUT! I want to see a fuzzy butt!
wee.gif

Still nothing brom the. Larger brown egg with the smaller air cell.... but
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom