UPDATE -Help needed with African Geese

Well, I have had to catch the geese, for the second night in a row, to get them in the shed for the night. They are out from around 5:30 am, all day. I have filled a pool for them but so far Gus will not swim (or anything else) with Gabby. I leave their food inside the shed hoping they will get used to going in there. This will be the third night in a row they will sleeping in there. I am afraid to leave them out all night. We do have coyotes, racoons, and owls around. Also stray dogs. They are fenced in but I don't think the fence will keep anything out that really wants to get in. I just don't know if I have it in me to be chasing them around every night. Any suggestions on how to get them used to going inside at night? When Gus was in the barn it was easy for some reason. Now all he wants is to get back up to his girls (ducks). It is heartbreaking.

Kathy

Quote:
Kathy,

I used to be afraid some predator would eat my geese but after seeing them go after the neighbors dog, I stopped worrying about them. I just leave them outside period. They have a three sided shelter which they use in winter during storms and now that they have goslings, but otherwise they are free-ranging 24/7.

I do not think I would be able to convince them to go inside an enclosed building. My chickens though go inside as soon as the sun sets. Go figure.

So If I were you, I would just leave outside together in some kind of fenced-in area and let them figure it out.

Well the good thing is the pen they are in is right behind the house. Safer than up on the hill at the barn. I have not seen them go inside on their own at all. When I open the door to the shed early am they don't seem to be in a rush to get out. I guess I will have to just let them stay out and hope for the best.

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom