UPDATE -Help needed with African Geese

KathyR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Tully, NY
I posted several days back about my African gander mating with my ducks. Well I found an African female for Gus. He is 2yrs old and she will be 1yr old late summer. Since he was raised with the ducks I am having a problem with him. First of all the new girl, we call her Gabby, loves Gus and follows him around. I put her in with Gus and the ducks for a couple of days so he could get used to her. She follows him everywhere and he does everything he can to avoid her. Today we put the two in a seperate pen and shed. Gus is very unhappy, pacing back and forth. I feel so bad doing this but have to for the safety of the ducks. I have discovered that not only are a few ducks limping but found one with feathers missing on her back and a good sized surface cut. Will he adjust and how long do you think I should give it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have them locked in the shed right now (screen door to look out) so they can get used to it before letting them out.

I also would like to ask what is the chances of my male duck drowning the females while mating in the pool? He holds the heads under water for quite some time, it makes me nervous.

Kathy

Last edited:
I've notice the wild mocovies in the canal behind my house almost drown the poor females while mating.
Never seen one drown yet/

Don't think you need to worry.

TGP

Thanks for the reply. It is scary to watch. I deep thinking I will go out and find one of the girls dead in the pool.

Anybody have any advice for the geese. I let them out in the new pen today. Gus keeps pacing the fence, calling up to his girls (ducks). He totally ignores the new female I got for him.

Kathy

Well, they are seperated but I really don't have anyplace to put them that they can't see or hear each other. I guess time will tell. I think Gus thinks he is a duck. He has never seen another goose.

Kathy

If he is used to mating on a regular basis, I have a feeling that girl goose is going to start looking mighty cute in a day or two
big_smile.png

I don't have a pool in there yet but I am working on it. I had a heck of a time getting them back in the shed this evening. I usually put all my animals in at night for fear of preditors. What type of predators do I need to worry about with geese?
Thanks for the replies guys.
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom