Update in sick chicken. WARNING: POOP PHOTO

Jenessa_096

Crowing
Jul 14, 2021
Molalla, Oregon
Hello sorry for the warning in the title, some people think it’s wierd to look at your chickens poop! 😂 (used to be me)

Anyway, this is an update on my sick chicken Luna: So I took a photo of her poop which was fresh on the roost right under her. It looks the same but I don’t really remember how it looked like because I don’t have any pictures. She is sleeping on the top roost with my alpha hens! Yes! 😆🥳 I know this means she is somehow better because two days ago she was sleeping on the floor. Now I am giving her antibiotics everyday and Epsom salt baths because of her wound on her stomach. In terms of the swelling on the abdomen, it still is the same I would say, but at lest it’s not worse. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She does shake her head a lot because her comb started to drop and she is so not liking it! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyway that’s the update she’s still strong and running! I believe in her!! ❤️🐔💕

Thank you guys for all your help, I am so glad I found Backyard Chickens when I did! ❤️

(Original post: Thread 'Found this on my chickens stomach!! Please help!!'https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/found-this-on-my-chickens-stomach-please-help.1482239/)

Attachments

• F4429C0A-0283-45A3-A1D8-7ED6CDEF017A.jpeg
    F4429C0A-0283-45A3-A1D8-7ED6CDEF017A.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 40
  • FCDE204A-C5E7-4BF4-85DE-C605AF4519DC.jpeg
    FCDE204A-C5E7-4BF4-85DE-C605AF4519DC.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 35
Hello sorry for the warning in the title, some people think it’s wierd to look at your chickens poop! 😂 (used to be me)

Anyway, this is an update on my sick chicken Luna: So I took a photo of her poop which was fresh on the roost right under her. It looks the same but I don’t really remember how it looked like because I don’t have any pictures. She is sleeping on the top roost with my alpha hens! Yes! 😆🥳 I know this means she is somehow better because two days ago she was sleeping on the floor. Now I am giving her antibiotics everyday and Epsom salt baths because of her wound on her stomach. In terms of the swelling on the abdomen, it still is the same I would say, but at lest it’s not worse. 🤷🏼‍♀️ She does shake her head a lot because her comb started to drop and she is so not liking it! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ Anyway that’s the update she’s still strong and running! I believe in her!! ❤️🐔💕

Thank you guys for all your help, I am so glad I found Backyard Chickens when I did! ❤️

(Original post: Thread 'Found this on my chickens stomach!! Please help!!'https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/found-this-on-my-chickens-stomach-please-help.1482239/)
I'm glad she is roosting with the flock and feeling a little better. :hugs
Unfortunately, that is not a healthy poop. It is one that indicates poor processing of her food. Due to the abdominal swelling, I suspect a reproductive disorder. The swelling prevents the digestive system from functioning correctly and they slowly starve.
I've seen this in two of my WLHs. I watched for signs that their quality of life had tipped the scale to more bad than good and had them euthanized. It took several weeks.

I hope she gets better. It looks like she isn’t digesting food. I would take the food away at night. And gone her went food in the morning privately. Try not to do much grass. But I don’t know how you flock is set up.

I hope she gets better. It looks like she isn’t digesting food. I would take the food away at night. And gone her went food in the morning privately. Try not to do much grass. But I don’t know how you flock is set up.
So you would take away the food at night, and give it to her in the morning? Also, should I keep her in my chicken run then, there’s no grass there?

I'm glad she is roosting with the flock and feeling a little better. :hugs
Unfortunately, that is not a healthy poop. It is one that indicates poor processing of her food. Due to the abdominal swelling, I suspect a reproductive disorder. The swelling prevents the digestive system from functioning correctly and they slowly starve.
I've seen this in two of my WLHs. I watched for signs that their quality of life had tipped the scale to more bad than good and had them euthanized. It took several weeks.
Can I force feed her? Or maybe give her some fermented feed? What good signs do you look for?

Normal poops, scratching around with the rest of the flock, perching and preening with flock mates, dust bathing, sun bathing, eating and drinking normally.
If she isn't doing these things, she is in bad shape.
Ah, I do think she has tried to dust bathe or sun bathe but when she lays in her stomach she seems in pain.

Can I force feed her?
I did with my girl but not to much. Be gentle because in the end they have a bad stomach ache and we all know what never feels good. I would mix water, chick medicated, and some apple sauce. She would eat it when I put it in her mouth. Maybe you girl would like that or something similar?

I did with my girl but not to much. Be gentle because in the end they have a bad stomach ache and we all know what never feels good. I would mix water, chick medicated, and some apple sauce. She would eat it when I put it in her mouth. Maybe you girl would like that or something similar?

I will try that, it sounds like a good idea

Back
Top Bottom