*Update!*Lockdown! (I think!) I heard tapping! (I think!)

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
ETA: 3 out of 3 are pipping and cheeping at me! Not long now, they're working at the same speed so far, 2 tap marks each. I should have babies by bedtime! The 4th one has another 2 days, candling showed it dark inside like the others, so I have hopes on that last one too!

So far so good, each peeped at me when I held it to my ear, to make sure all sounded well. Have the brooder set up now too, I was waiting until I knew something was coming out.

Woo-Hoo!! Not too shabby for the first hatch in 9 years. I told the parent chickens but they didn't care, just wanted more sunflower seeds. LOL

I'm pretty sure I should see some chicks tomorrow or the day after. Not sure though, I marked on the calendar the day I wanted to set the eggs.. then got excited, and put them in early. Can't recall how early.... LOL

So starting yesterday, I added a bit more water. Today a little more, slowly increasing the humidity just in case. This morning I placed them into a cardboard egg carton top, so that movement doesn't send the egg rolling to the far side of the 'bator. I held each one to my ear, and I *think* I heard 3 taps inside!! Could have been the shell against an earring though... or something else... but I'm going with pre-pip tapping!

Candled yesterday, can't see through at all, so they've continued to grow, and there's chicks in there. They better come out! They have a home waiting! I have been stashing Prissy's eggs incase they don't... I may set her's anyways for some more purebred chickies to keep.

The woman they're going to had her son help her take the treehouse out of the tree, to reassemble it as a coop. I thought it was a great idea! I wrote out a care sheet for her, and plan on helping with fencing and heat and other such info to ensure these little birds have a great place. She might just be more excited than I am!

Last edited:
Congrats! That is sooo exciting. I heard peeping this morning when I went to add water, so I'm excited too. I set Nov 3rd so I'm due tomorrow or so. Hopefully these little ones come out, my kidlet is anxiously waiting
big_smile.png

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom