UPDATE... MAREKS confirmed. Lethargic, eating, slightly off balance *PICTURES *

gotro17

Songster
Oct 25, 2015
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi- Merry Christmas!
My lavender Orpington has been separating herself from the flock and walking around all puffed up. She's eating and drinking some, but, seems to be rocking backwards onto her heels and bum, in the "hospital" crate. She is just about 4 months old. No signs of live or mites, no sneezing or coughing... I hate to think it's Mareks. Please help!

UPDATE~ Necropsy results revealed infiltrations to her spleen, lungs, kidneys, spine and skeleton, highly suggestive of Marek's. The breeder we got her from reports she vaccinated them. Aside from her "sister", all my other girls are hatchery chicks from MPC and were vaccinated. It was a horrible death to witness... I'm watching Shirl like a hawk (no offense to those who have lost chickens to hawks (me included)) for any symptoms. The fact the virus is active for 6 months, within the coop and surrounding areas, is daunting and depressing. I know all the ins and outs of the disease now and am fully aware most chickens are likely carriers... She did arrive, and stay, at the bottom of the pecking order so I'm positive the extreme stress activated the manifest... Any advice is welcome. Thank you all for your support!

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

How does her crop feel? Is her poop normal? When was she last wormed? How long has she been acting funny?

Poop is normal, crop fine...she's only 3.5 months, so, never wormed to my knowledge (we got her 3 weeks ago). I started noticing her being funny 3 days ago. I just separated her yesterday.

I would give her some poultry vitamins in her water that contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toes and walking on the hocks or elbows. It has to be treated early or it won't help. Is your chick starter grower fresh dated? Other possibility could be an injury, so I would pen her up to rest her legs while giving the vitamins, and making sure that she eats well. Let us know how she gets along.

Thank you- I'll try it. She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. When I went in to check on her, she stumbled to the side when I got close then stopped walking.

Mareks is a concern, but only time will tell unless you get blood drawn for a PCR blood test for Mareks, or a necropsy if she dies. I would just treat with vitamins, make sure that she is getting plenty to eat and drink, and observe her. Tomorrow I can send some good links on Mareks to read. If you have time tonight, you can do a search at the top of this page, and look for the Great BIG MAREKS FAQ by Nambroth.

How does her crop feel? Does she have a bad or sour odor coming from her beak? The crop should be nearly empty first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks. A puffy crop can indicate a slow moving crop, and it can accompany different diseases such as Mareks, coccidiosis, and others. Her crop looks big in the photos, but that can just look that way if she is puffed up.

I'm a newbie and probably should have admitted this earlier... In between my fingers here, it's hard and about the size if something a little slimmer than a walnut. I'll take her food out- I've forced her some water... Advice?

Back
Top Bottom