Update! New Pics~Baby Doll Cochins! My 3 year project is hatching the final Pure Bred generation ton

I just simply cannot understand why everyone is being so negative about BunnyMomma's project. She simply has a project she wanted to share with the chicken world. She has said they aren't perfect and they aren't near show quality yet. Give some support people! Discouraging remarks will make some new people not even try to improve what they have because they think what they have will never be good enough for the folks on here to approve of. I for one applaude what you are doing Jody and can't wait to get my birds to help further you efforts!

and I agree with everything you said as well.

I got the great privilege of meeting BunnyMomma's from this great website and we conversed threw email about her wonderful Project. I think its great to have that kind of back ground and then to be able to apply it to something you love to do.
Way to Go BunnyMamma you are doing a great job. And can't wait to see what you come up with next.
hugs

Casey~
Pardon me? I absolutely do know and I completely understand what the standard of perfection calls for. If you will read what my goals are for these birds it will give you a better understanding of what I am doing with these birds. You are missing the point, by trying to judge these birds by the SOP. You are missing the point, by trying to place my project in a cookie cutter, breeding program.

Again, I have never, ever, stated that these were show birds. They are purely for pets, backyard enjoyment, and an ongoing project for ornamental pets at this point. Eventually they may be recognized by the SOP and the BSOP, but that will take a few years of hard work by several people to reach that goal. In the meantime, I am satisfied to enjoy them as they are. They are very special, at least to me and to others involved in the project.

Again, I am not able to give advise to breeders on how to breed smaller show cochins. I am not qualified to give that type of advise yet. If I did try to give advise about how to breed smaller cochins, you would probably bash me. It is a no win situation.

My advise to you would be to relax, and enjoy showing your beautiful white frizzle cochins. You certainly have some of the best looking birds in the country. Don't worry yourself with my project!
~Jody
hugs.gif
Jody,
I wasnt saying that you were claiming to have and breed these birds as SQ, you have stated several times these are for backyars pets, and enjoyment or just having small birds. My point there is, if this "project" is to get off its feet in several years and you decided to try and get these birds accepted into the SOP or BSOP, then they will have to fit the standard, and with any breed of any size, type is foremost what your working on, everything else comes after. But I am looking at this for what it is, simply a project, nothing more. I am not the person breeding and caring for these animals, you are, and as long as your enjoying it and willing to do so, then more power to you, things like this is'nt everyones cup o' tea. Just remember, everyone has an opinion and it isnt always gonna be the same as yours. Just dont try and take what people think of what your doing and how your doing it so personally, your the one putting forth the effort, time, and money not them.

My birds are nice, I am very proud of what I have accomplished with them in just 2 years, but they still have a long way to go before I myself consider them to be some of the best looking in the country. But as mentioned, everyones opinions are different, so you may see a great looking bird and I may see a decent bird that needs work. Another thing to remember is that there are not any perfect specimens out there, just like people, and all we can do as breeders is try and give the best representation of what we are breeding.

~Casey

This is a really interesting project, and will produce birds that will most likely be explosively popular (though I personally would be scared to death that a super docile and tiny bird would be taken by hawks. I like my big fat girls, they'd crash a snatcher :p).

I think you're running into criticism because of the secrecy (which of course if your right to choose). Breeders are used to a more communal approach to creating a breed specifically because it takes so many breeders so many years to get them accepted as SQ. However, to my mind (and I could be wrong), it appears that you are approaching it from a more commercial angle, which would make the secrecy completely understandable. You're going to make a ton of money with this breed if you're able to keep a lid on them. God knows I would love to do the same with a breed of my own some day.

Your birds are adorable, and I wish you the best of luck with your backyard genetic playground. It's my personal dream to play genetic scientist in my own backyard someday with roses and chickens (just need a bigger acreage!).

WOW!
caf.gif
People are very revealing of themselves when they attempt to turn off a light in someone else.

I'm inspired by your spirit and passion for life. All I see and hear is goodness and a sweet spirit. I would LOVE to go on the list for a whole pen of your baby doll pullets. (that means 3 or 4 for this backyard girl). I'm not a breeder, but it sure would be fun to be a small part of something so exciting! They are cute as can be.

edited to remove personal information

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I just found this thread and all I can say is Good Heavens, people sure can be negative!!!!! I am a newbie to bantam cochins and clicked on this thread out of true interest. I did not come here with suspicion. I have worked on projects before and if the OP wants to keep the details private that is her choice and more power to her. I can definitely relate. Look at what happens with all the "Big Name" breeders. As soon as they release their birds to the public and those people are not willing to take the care the original breeder took the line starts to go down in quality. But it is not the new breeder's fault. They market their birds as Dan P lines and the person pays top dollar, then they hatch out mediocre and it is D.P's fault. So lets see, the OP tells everyone how she accomplished this project, everyone runs out and tries it but does not use care and just wants that new money maker. The resulting birds suffer and low and behold it is the OP's fault! LOL I am with her 100% on keeping it to herself!!!!

BunnyMamma I sincerely send you best wishes with your project. It sounds like you have worked hard and deserve all the praise.
hugs.gif
I also applaud you for culling like the grim reaper. It is hard but a necessary part of the process in developing something new. With ALL of the truly successful "projects" (for lack of a better term) you will see A LOT of culling in the beginning. And truth be told it is when the culling stops that the the breed suffers.

The snipping in this thread makes me realize where all of our master breeders have gone in this hobby. They probably got tired of defending themselves every time they turned around. Constructive criticism from a peer is one thing. What has happened on this thread in not CC.

Shellie J

Last edited:
Hello,
I just found this thread and all I can say is Good Heavens, people sure can be negative!!!!! I am a newbie to bantam cochins and clicked on this thread out of true interest. I did not come here with suspicion. I have worked on projects before and if the OP wants to keep the details private that is her choice and more power to her. I can definitely relate. Look at what happens with all the "Big Name" breeders. As soon as they release there birds to the public and those people are not willing to take the care the original breeder took the line starts to go down in quality. But it is not the new breeder's fault. They market their birds as Dan P lines and the person pays top dollar, then they hatch out mediocre and it is D.P's fault. So lets see, the OP tells everyone how she accomplished this project, everyone runs out and tries it but does not use care and just wants that new money maker. The resulting birds suffer and low and behold it is the OP's fault! LOL I am with her 100% on keeping it to herself!!!!

BunnyMamma I sincerely send you best wishes with your project. It sounds like you have worked hard and deserve all the praise.
hugs.gif
I also applaud you for culling like the grim reaper. It is hard but a necessary part of the process in developing something new. With ALL of the truly successful "projects" (for lack of a better term) you will see A LOT of culling in the beginning. And truth be told it is when the culling stops that the the breed suffers.

The snipping in this thread makes me realize where all of our master breeders have gone in this hobby. They probably got tired of defending themselves every time they turned around. Constructive criticism from a peer is one thing. What has happened on this thread in not CC.

Shellie J
Thanks Shellie! You took the words right out of my brain!
I appreciate your kind words and support!
Bunny!

So, how's about we make a totally seperate thread for everything else that is being talked about besides what the name of the thread states? Or the name of the thread could be changed?
roll.png

~Casey

Any member is of course free to start a new thread at any time.

Cochins have major cuteness factors going for them already, I can definitely see these little guys being a hit for hobbyists in the backyard. Very happy that temperament is a major factor for you, so those baby dolls can match their name in personality. I may have missed them, but are there any photos of adults? I can't wait to see those! I love project birds...including he muttiest of mutts. I think it is so positively neat to see people trying to breed towards a goal, whether to fit a personal need or desire in a bird, or to appeal to a wider audience. Think these guys have wide range appeal. <3

Well, these birds are not bantam cochins.....and they are not LF cochins.

I guess they would be considered a totally new breed.

Which means their acceptance by the APA would mean a totally separate standard.....

Quite a lifelong project.

Back
Top Bottom