update on crooked neck 6 week old

JeninMN

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Well so far we are doing good!! I am optimistic for a total recovery at this point..maybe she'll never completely be cured of it but she is certainly doing better. She seems to back into a corner when her head goes down now and rather than not being able to control herself at all she seems to be able to pull herself together rather than starting to do somersaults! Last night I only saw her do 1 somersault.

She is now able to drink water on her own again rather than just by me dropping it on her beak for her....she is also back to eating the regular chick starter instead of the mash that I was making..she picks that over the mash so today I just didn't make any mash.

She is getting fiesty again when its time for the vitamins to get dropped on her beak but she does really well.

So with this in mind, how long do I want to keep her on the polyvisol drops? We started those for her this past Monday evening and have done them morning and night.

Do I want to start giving her less vitamins by dropper? She is getting vitamins in her drinking water too. Plus a little vitamin E every day.

I certainly don't want to overdose her on vitamins so how do we know when enough is enough??

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, I am so happy that she is recovering ( or seems to be? )!!

Jen in MN

So glad things are working out well! We are at week three for our girl who got it at 9 weeks (I think) and she only gets either vit E/Selenium OR Poly-vi-Sol every other day or so- not often, just a little (1 E capsule plus 1/4 tablet of Selenium or a half a dropper of the vitamins) to kind of bump her up. She is almost 100% back to normal and in with the other chicks much of the time. I would gradually back off on the vitamin drops and vitamin E.... but I wasn't in a huge rush to do so, I wanted to see steady improvement. I hope your girl gets all the way better too!
Patty N. ;-)

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom