Update on Faith & Sunshine - update post #55... Phoenix is gone :((

Sunshine and Faith look so much better! Are Sunshine's neck feathers more fluffy now because she can see to preen herself? And faith looks less woebegone than she looked before. Less depressed, if that makes sense. How soon will her feathers finish growing in? I hate to think of her without her warm coat way up there in Canada.

I don't know how long it takes for a baby's feathers to grow in...

Sure hope it's fast cuz the heating lamp is on almost all the time, it's costing us a fortune in electricity!

She better know she's loved, LOL!

Quote:
Technodoll, I've been away for awhile and I missed the original story. Could you please post a link so I can get caught up with everyone. Normally I'd go hunt it down myself, but the amount I have to spend here these days always seems to run to the short side.

So far, what a wonderful story. And what a wonderful thing you're doing for these little girls. You and I are of a like mind when it comes to animal cruelty! I'm so glad these little girls got a good forever home with you. You obviously care a great deal. This world needs more people like you in it. Thanks for stepping up and taking on special needs babies!
hugs.gif

Thanks for the link Technodoll! My! My! My! What an odyssey you have been on with these new girls. I'm certainly sending warm healing thoughts to them. Though, you seem to be out of the woods now and well on the road to a great recovery with them.

I fully understand your reluctance to leave them behind at the breeder. I don't know if it is a character flaw or not, in you and I, that possesses us to take on these "special needs" babies. But, whatever it is, I'm glad you did! Now these girls have a chance. That's more than they had back at the breeder.

It's amazing to me that they were in this bad of shape from what you mentioned in your previous thread about the conditions the breeder kept his flock in. One would think that the rest of his birds would have been in similar condition. I wonder why just these birds were in such terrible shape? I also find it surprising that he didn't have them segregated from the rest of his flocks. Maybe if you'd had more time to examine the rest of his facility, you would have discovered more amiss. I wonder if maybe something similar to a "Puppy Mill" is going on there.
hu.gif

Well, as you say, it's all water over the dam now. You have them, they're safe and seem to be on the mend. And in the end, isn't that all that really matters? Please keep the updates coming. It's heartwarming to many of us to see such a great success story! Of course, you must also post pics of the first eggs from these darling little girls!
wink.png
Best of luck in your endeavors at rehabilitation!
hugs.gif

t's amazing to me that they were in this bad of shape from what you mentioned in your previous thread about the conditions the breeder kept his flock in. One would think that the rest of his birds would have been in similar condition. I wonder why just these birds were in such terrible shape? I also find it surprising that he didn't have them segregated from the rest of his flocks. Maybe if you'd had more time to examine the rest of his facility, you would have discovered more amiss. I wonder if maybe something similar to a "Puppy Mill" is going on there.

There were definitely signs that I either overlooked or ignored and yes, I found out afterwards that it wasn't a good place to buy birds from.

You won't catch me going there twice
he.gif

Live and learn, eh?

At least these little girls have a good forever home here with me, I do enjoy seeing them bloom!​

Wow!!!! You are such a great person. It gave me a very big lump in my throat! I have done the same for my last 2 dogs that I now have. They look like they will love you forever. What a wonderful story and I look forward to more pics along the way.
Thank you for caring....animals need all the help they can get from us!
clap.gif

Update on Faith, my little "rescued" EE girl:

Well, I'm officially mad now.

I think the jerk who sold her to me knew he was lying when he said she was 12 weeks old at the time.

She was more like 6, if even that!!
somad.gif

Who does such a thing??

I've had her 3 weeks now and she still peeps like a baby and is very small, I think the reason she was naked when I got her was that she was just losing her baby fluff but was on such a bad diet she had nothing to grow new feathers with!

She's covered in pin feathers now (looks and feels like a little hedgehog
big_smile.png
) but has not grown very much, she has been doing well in her section of the coop, which she shares with 5 other new girls but still gets pecked on as she's the smallest. She's feisty though, I'll give her that!

Now she sprained a leg two days ago, I brought her in the house yesterday as she was doing quite poorly. She's been sequestered in a plastic dog crate since then and has been sleeping a LOT, seems very weak, she has trouble standing on her legs and wobbles a lot
sad.png

Am giving her fresh garlic pieces to try and flush out any worms.

Sigh. Why can't I get big, healthy, normal birds???
barnie.gif

Anyways, here's my little "Chernobyl sweetie" this morning, notice all the pin feathers on her back?

DSC_00502.jpg

Her face is filling in, too:

DSC_00523.jpg

Compared to how she looked 3 weeks ago!

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Why is it always the hard cases that grab your heart by the strings!!

idunno.gif

Wow what a transformation I think faith may be a rooster though
hmm.png
Just a feeling for an EE the comb is pretty big at such a young age and I bet when She feathers in She will become a he. Good Luck we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom