Update on GROUNDS Coffee Ground Bedding for your coop!

What’s a poop board?

Here’s my poop board. It catches droppings for you to scoop the morning after. I’ve found it far easier, cheaper, and cleaner to use this method over deep litter composting where it was difficult with so many birds to manage moisture and enough carbon. I was constantly adding more straw and turning the litter but the smell and moisture was just too much. It worked well when I had 4 birds but then I had 11 and it wasn’t as effective. 18 was a crapshoot (haha). I added the poop board Thanksgiving 2019 and switched to pine shavings and it was a game changer. Still, the pine shavings needed replaced every two months or so because of dust so I switched to coffee grounds this February and have yet to replace them and they are scoopable for any stray poop.

Attachments

• 8414E9B2-1CA3-4274-8C26-0A22DBB780D2.jpeg
    8414E9B2-1CA3-4274-8C26-0A22DBB780D2.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 120
Here’s where I am drying the new grounds
8A7FEF07-CAED-4AA6-A31B-D9BBF5FD6F13.jpeg

And here is the current coop grounds after five or so months of use. I keep pine shavings in the nest box so those get mixed in a little.
3AC17B71-B456-4887-9CFF-409780EB31FD.jpeg

Well the chickens are doing most of the work:) . I went 2 1/2 years before I scooped out the compost last fall and let it sit in a pile out of the coop until spring. Best compost ever, my tomatoes are loving it.

G

Do you have a floor in your coop? That was another issue, after months of adding material, there was simply no more room in the coop! I don’t have standing room anyways which is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom