Update on GROUNDS Coffee Ground Bedding for your coop!

Pics
I felt a little guilty for doing that
I felt guilty for buying 10 of 11 cans of ham at Meijers a few months ago. They hadn't had it in 6 months and haven't had it since. I got over the feeling guilty two weeks after I bought it and they didn't have more. I would have been kicking myself for not getting all I could when I had the chance.

If the TSC near me has coffee grounds, you can bet I'll be getting a lot. :thumbsup

Yay!!! I am so excited to see this! Was so bummed when it looked like it was discontinued at TSC.

I like to combine it with the horse pellets so it's not quite so expensive. This combo lasts a long time and doesn't smell bad. And as an FYI, I've had no problems using it for my ducks.

Yay!!! I am so excited to see this! Was so bummed when it looked like it was discontinued at TSC.

I like to combine it with the horse pellets so it's not quite so expensive. This combo lasts a long time and doesn't smell bad. And as an FYI, I've had no problems using it for my ducks.
I use the horse pellets and love them. They’re actually super cheap where I am. I’m excited to try this combo! Do you find that the grounds settle below the pellets? That’s what I would worry about

I use the horse pellets and love them. They’re actually super cheap where I am. I’m excited to try this combo! Do you find that the grounds settle below the pellets? That’s what I would worry about
They do settle a bit when the pellets are new, but not too bad. As the pellets begin to break down and you fluff the bedding, they mix together nicely.

Do any of you use this bedding in the brooder. I just went to pick it up from Tractor Supply in hopes I can put it as flooring for my baby chicks, but it smells really really strong, so I was just wondering if it was safe. Any of you have experience using this bedding with babies?

Toward the end of February this year I picked up 3 bags of grounds coffee ground bedding from Tractor Supply and immediately fell in love. With three bags I had a roughly 4" layer in my 4x6' chicken coop. My coop smelled wonderful and the grounds were so light weight and compostable. The very best part though is the scoopability of the coffee grounds. Fast forward to today, roughly five months later, and the litter is largely poop-free as I am able to scoop it daily. It hasn't broken down into dust as wood chips do after a couple of months. It doesn't smell, isn't moldy (but I don't leave water in the coop either). The downside is this bedding as disappeared off the shelves of TSC. You can view product info at poweredbycoffee.com but sadly, they now only ship locally within 25 miles of Indianapolis. I contacted the company directly and received a response. They said they are hoping to be back in TSC by the fall, but that's not soon enough! I have been saving my own coffee and drying it to replenish what is lost, but within the last month I've finally decided I really need more. I hate the thought of switching back to pine, and I don't want to use sand at all. It is too heavy and too difficult to find dust-free sand. It also isn't compostable.

What to do? I called the Starbucks located next to my work office and they said they'll give me a huge box for free. I am picking it up today at lunch and plan on spreading the grounds on a tarp in the sun to facilitate drying. I am only nervous that they use a fine grind, but we shall see. I'll update if it works. If this is successful, this will mean a free source of bedding that is recycled, compostable, smells fantastic, scoopable, longer lasting. I really can't see any downsides!
My only concern about using spent coffee grounds would be the caffeine. From what I’ve heard caffeine is NOT good for chickens. If you look on Powerbycoffee.com, the website for the grounds bedding at tractor supply, it states it is safe for your animals because there is NO CAFFEINE in their grounds. If you’re going to use coffee houses such as Starbucks to supply spent coffee grounds that is great, but I’d request the DECAF coffee grounds if by any chance they have the waste separated 🤷🏼‍♀️

My only concern about using spent coffee grounds would be the caffeine. From what I’ve heard caffeine is NOT good for chickens. If you look on Powerbycoffee.com, the website for the grounds bedding at tractor supply, it states it is safe for your animals because there is NO CAFFEINE in their grounds. If you’re going to use coffee houses such as Starbucks to supply spent coffee grounds that is great, but I’d request the DECAF coffee grounds if by any chance they have the waste separated 🤷🏼‍♀️
They use chemicals to produce decaf. Is this really safer as the normal coffee?

They use chemicals to produce decaf. Is this really safer as the normal coffee?
The coffee is “decaffeinated” because it’s already been brewed. If you read through the thread I posted several research articles which used coffee in feed with no positive nor negative side effects. I used it myself for eight months and loved it. I currently use it on the poop boards.

Used coffee grounds are considered decaffeinated because the caffeine is extracted during the brewing process. Again, I’ll reference the research articles noted in this thread as well as my experiences with using it successfully. The chickens don’t eat it.

Do any of you use this bedding in the brooder. I just went to pick it up from Tractor Supply in hopes I can put it as flooring for my baby chicks, but it smells really really strong, so I was just wondering if it was safe. Any of you have experience using this bedding with babies?

I’ve used it to read chicks but mama hen was with them. The chickens nor the chicks have ever expressed interest in the coffee grounds. You better buy it while you can because from what I’ve heard chick days will be the only time of year it will be stocked at tsc. I bought every bag they had!

Back
Top Bottom