Update on Marlow (the duck with bumblefoot)

GoldyKai

Chirping
May 19, 2023
I recently treated a Pekin, Marlow, for bumblefoot. After two months, he stopped limping, and he’s now doing so much better. He’s got his sense of self preservation back, and is no longer lethargic. A picture of him is below. I’m so thankful for the time I had with him, and he has put me on a path to pursue avian medicine. :)

Attachments

• 69C05703-B5EB-4DAF-AB8A-8FA040DC029E.jpeg
    69C05703-B5EB-4DAF-AB8A-8FA040DC029E.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
@GoldyKai I am curious what you did to help your duck recover. I recently treated mine for bumblefoot and she is not putting any pressure on the leg or foot whatsoever. Cleaning daily, new dressings daily and not feeling any other corns in the foot. Her foot still is feeling warm but not like prior to having the infection in it. Any tips or advice?

Thanks!

Are you soaking your ducks foot in Epsom salt water along with the other things your doing? Was the infection localized? in other words no swelling or infection other than where the bumble was?

Are you soaking your ducks foot in Epsom salt water along with the other things your doing? Was the infection localized? in other words no swelling or infection other than where the bumble was?
The infection spread and caused some swelling around the “ankle”. (The first joint after the foot). I had to cut the corn out and so I stopped soaking the foot because the wound is open and didn’t want to risk further infecting the foot.
She does not put any pressure on the foot which is understandable but I wanted to make sure she is actually healing. I figured she would put some amount of pressure on it. When I redress the foot there is not any signs of infection still in the foot and I do squeeze the wound to make sure if anything was in there it would be pushed out. The surgery happened 2 days ago for reference.

The Epsom salt will help with healing inflammation and swelling. Has the infection left out of the ankle area? She might benefit from an antibiotic to make sure there isn’t anything left.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-post.1492463/#post-24896429
I have started to soak her feet again. I am not feeling any other hard spots in her foot. The swelling is starting to reduce but she still will not put any pressure on the foot whatsoever. I have her on antibiotics now (enrofloxacin). My over arching question is when should I see some changes and her using that foot again. I know every case is different but is there a general timeline?

Back
Top Bottom