Update on my Bourbon Reds couple of questions

vawolfmom

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
I got my Bourbon Reds from Cackle Hatchery in April of this year. They are 7 months old now. We wound up with 5 females and 7 males. 2 months ago we separated 5 of the males from the rest. One broke his neck trying to escape so he was harvested and about 7 pounds dressed. Last weekend we harvested 2 so they could be brined and smoked at the neighbors using applewood from our old apple tree. Man he did a good job! Both males were close to 12 pounds dressed. Perfect size for the smoker. The 2 left in that pen will be harvested tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinners.
That leaves 2 young toms and the 5 young hens. I noticed an egg on the pen floor last night. Light tan with darker brown speckles and sadly, cracked. The dog will love it! What I am wondering is, are turkey eggs from young hens smaller and more fragile-like eggs from young chickens? And do I need to supply hay or some bedding for turkey nests?
Next question. I noticed that several of the hens have broken off their beak tips. They don't seem bothered by it but is it possible they broke because I had been giving them some cracked corn in a metal pan? I took out the pan anyway. Thanks!

What I am wondering is, are turkey eggs from young hens smaller and more fragile-like eggs from young chickens?
Turkey eggs from young hens can be smaller than what they will lay the next year. They certainly are not fragile unless your hens aren't getting sufficient calcium. If they are laying, they need to have access to oyster shell free choice.

I noticed that several of the hens have broken off their beak tips. They don't seem bothered by it but is it possible they broke because I had been giving them some cracked corn in a metal pan? I took out the pan anyway.
I suspect that they are more likely damaging their beaks on your fencing.

Back
Top Bottom