update on really late duck eggs

kat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
barnsley. england
just keeping you up to date. 1 of our duck eggs has externally pipped at long last on day 35 it is cheaping like mad and moving round. fingers crossed it hatches out ok. we have also got peeping noises coming from another 3 eggs. just hope they will all be ok. happy easter xxx

Congrats on the pip! I noticed you said in the title "really late duck eggs", however muscovey typically hatch around day 35. Are these muscovey or crosses? That could explain the hatch date. Good luck with the hatch!

Jody

these eggs are alyesbury duck eggs and we were told they would hatch at day 28 but i noticed someone wrote on here that hers didnt hatch till day 33 so we just thought we would leave them in bator and see what happens and hay presto we have babies on there way

Hi there,

This is my first message, so please bear with me if I am doing this wrong. Lasy year we bought our three kids a chicken each to keep at our allotment, and we were hooked, I bought my two girls age 10 and 11 an incubator for christmas and we successfully hatched four silkies on boxing day, it was fantastic!! Since then we have bought a cockrel and hatched some of our own eggs and have two more named faith (had to get this one out of shell) and speckles. We then bought two white Campbell call ducks and she had started laying so we put in 6 eggs. Two died early on but the other four were due today. Candled them they had pipped through there air sacs on Thursday and were cheeping, stopped turning them and dropped temp by 1 degree, by friday they had stopped moving and cheeping!! Thought maybe they would run out of air so made a little hole in the end. Duckling still and not breathing same in all eggs. EHat do you think I have done wrong, anything else I should have done. Kids were devestated. :(Starting another set of seven off today!!

Hello, Kat,

I am
fl.gif
for you. I am glad to hear that you finally have an external pip, I guess you just have ducklings that want to be easter ducklings so you will always remember their hatch date.
bun.gif

Quote:
Mammachucky:

Call ducks can be very hard to hatch. Humidity is very important for a good hatch. The shell and membrane surrounding them is very tough and it is essential that your humidity is quite high for the couple of days leading up to hatching, so that the membrane softens otherwise they will pip and the membrane will trap them, like a staightjacket.

I always try to wipe my eggs with a warm wet paper towel or mist them, and that seemed to help the problem immensely. Chickens hatch safely at a lower humidity. Good luck on your current set of eggs.

Thanks Leslie

What would you recommend for the humidity?? I used about 58rh during incubation and 75rh during the last three days. I use a Brinsea 10 but have bought a digital hydrometer. These four lettle ducklings were perfectly formed and had internally pipped. Should I have helped them out??

Thankyou
Nicola

Back
Top Bottom