Update on rooster with infection, still need help

wleigh1021

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2016
New Jersey
Hi everyone,
I wanted to create a new thread so I could hopefully get more views and therefore input.

I have a rooster 2 years old and last Friday (9 days ago) I noticed he has a swollen crusty spot on his butt about the size of a lemon. It includes his vent and the area above it under his tail feathers. He could have possibly been injured breaking up a cockerel fight which he did frequently with the teenagers, but I don't see any wounds. On an earlier post someone suggested a fungal infection so I treated with a liquid antifungal treatment and athlete's foot cream 2x daily with no results after 3 full days and thought maybe it's vent gleat so switched to an otc vaginal antifungal cream. I also added ACV to water. It looks slightly less crusty but still very swollen. I'm hesitant to try antibiotics since that would make a yeast infection worse, but have them on hand if suggested.

I had a pullet with a similar looking infection last year that I thought was due to injury from a hawk attack which I treated with soaking and antibiotic cream but it never improved and she died.

I'm desperate to help him since he's so sweet and just a gentle giant and so good with his flock. Any help would be much appreciated. I do not have a vet in my area for birds.

1st picture is from when first found and second picture is 9 days later after treatment.

Attachments

• Resized_20190830_190828.jpeg
    Resized_20190830_190828.jpeg
    457 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190909_075818.jpg
    20190909_075818.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 8
I noticed he has a swollen crusty spot on his butt about the size of a lemon. It includes his vent and the area above it under his tail feathers.
I'm sorry about your rooster.

Have you noticed any lice/mites?

You mention that it's in the area above the tail feather too - can you look at his oil gland to see if it's "normal" or is it impacted?

I would try daily soaks in a warm epsom salts bath, dry well and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Some thoughts as to what it might be - abscess, impacted feather follicles or possibly a tumor. If you have vet care that would be best.

I'm sorry about your rooster.

Have you noticed any lice/mites?

You mention that it's in the area above the tail feather too - can you look at his oil gland to see if it's "normal" or is it impacted?

I would try daily soaks in a warm epsom salts bath, dry well and apply triple antibiotic ointment. Some thoughts as to what it might be - abscess, impacted feather follicles or possibly a tumor. If you have vet care that would be best.

Thanks. I noticed mites on the poop board a few weeks ago and that's when I noticed this problem on him because everyone got sprayed down with elector psp. However in spraying them all down I never saw any mites on the birds.

Back
Top Bottom