Update on vet appt

Quackers40

Hatching
Jan 17, 2017
My pekin duck's hock is very large and swollen. I posted a picture couple days ago. I thought hopefully the vet would be able to help but she didn't give me much hope. She said she didn't have a kit to test for infection so that wasn't done. She told me that it was either staph, mycoplasma or a slipped tendon. She did give me Tylan to put in his water and pain meds. She said even if was a slipped tendon surgery usually does not help. She said if it is an infection then the Tylon could treat the staph. She did say he does not have bumblefoot. The Tylan could also reduce symptoms of mycoplasma but he would never get rid of it and it would just swell up again down the road. And mycoplasma would affect all my other flock-I have more ducks and hens. She also said that he wasn't given the right diet and that probably didn't help matters. Also he is so big (10 lbs) that he also has that against him as well. So basically she told me to think about bringing him back to put down if he doesn't get well after these antibiotics.

I basically left crying and hopeless. Is there anything else I can do? Anyone have success stories? Thank you!

@Quackers40 I am so sorry you went to the vet and came out feeling worse than when you went in. I can't believe the vet couldn't do blood work, that would have showed up infection so he could have rules out the other things he mentioned.

Give the meds and don't give up hope. As long as they are alive I don't give up on them. Seems if it was Mycoplasma your other birds would be showing symptoms too. Or is this duck a new one you just added?

How is his appetite and can you put him in a nice warm bath 1-2X a day for some water therapy? That will take pressure off his leg and give him a chance to exercise it. Keep him from doing much walking since right now the water therapy and rest are best along with meds.

You might try giving him some Brewers yeast [human grade] from health food store sprinkled on his food. It's full of B vitamins which can help with leg issues. Sure worth a try. 1Tab per cup of feed.

A 10lb Pekin doesn't sound over weight but ducks really don't have strong legs so right now it is important he gets plenty of rest and support with the meds, BY and water therapy then we wait and see in 3-5 days how he is doing. Hopefully you'll begin to see improvement.
hugs.gif

@Amiga rec T Relief also that can be applied right to the leg.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!! Where can I get T-Relief? I am going to pharmacy tonight to get the brewers yeast. Can ducks still thrive with leg problems as long as they aren't sick? He can still hobble around but lays around most of the time. My husband said he noticed that Quakers has always hobbled around and he didn't think his legs were strong to begin with. I never noticed it personally. He was our first duck, and of course the sweetest.

Thank you so much!!! Where can I get T-Relief? I am going to pharmacy tonight to get the brewers yeast. Can ducks still thrive with leg problems as long as they aren't sick? He can still hobble around but lays around most of the time. My husband said he noticed that Quakers has always hobbled around and he didn't think his legs were strong to begin with. I never noticed it personally. He was our first duck, and of course the sweetest.
I believe Amiga said pharmacy carries it but call ahead first. Yes ducks can have handicaps Leg problems is one of the big ones. But as long as you keep him limited in what he does No running and walking to minimum he can do fine. Now if the Inflammation doesn't go down and it stays red and swollen you may have to think about other things but lets just give the meds and Brewers yeast a chance first. If he eats good and is still enjoying his life then I'd let him decided when time to say good bye if it goes that way.

Back
Top Bottom