UPDATE: Parakeet eggs didn't make it. =(

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
OK everyone here's another update on the Parakeet eggs that I posted about last week.
big_smile.png

Carla(the mother parakeet) is doing her job very well, for a first-time mother.
clap.gif
She's been doing nothing but keeping the eggs warm, and once in a while she will take a break Stormy, her mate, is still caring for her by feeding seeds to her while she sits on the eggs. He might be a first-time daddy, too!
clap.gif
But we aren't sure if he has been one before....? So far both new parents are doing their job very well!
ya.gif

The first eggs that Carla laid are planned to hatch this upcoming week or so. The ones that she laid after the first 2 eggs are planned to hatch a little later on.(she laid the eggs at different times; for example, she laid 2 in one day, then 2 a couple days after her first ones, etc...)

So far, they are doing very well!
ya.gif
I probably won't see them hatch, since I will be at mom's house during the week that they are due. But I will be sure to take pictures when I can!
cool.png

Thanks for reading!
smile.png

Last edited:
3-15-09

Here's another update:

Parakeet eggs are the same. Nothing much. Carla is sitting on them all the time now, just getting off to take quick food/drink breaks and to spend time with Stormy up on the perch. She is very protective of the eggs; last week, when I went to pick one egg up an egg to candle, she kept trying to slide it back under her, even when I assured her that I was just looking at it and she would get it back.
roll.png
And when I brought it back, she hopped off the nest, ran up to the cage door and was looking out, waiting for her egg to be safely put back.
love.gif
smile.png
She's such a caring mother.
smile.png

That's all for now. I will update you on any new things happening with the eggs!
big_smile.png

Congrats!
My 2 parakeets hatched some babies. We got 4 the first time. Didn't seperate the mom and dad and got 1 again, then the third time we got another 1. I just didn't wanna seperate the couple but had too. Now we have 4 cages, 2 in each cage.

OK here's an exciting update:!!!

Apparently, my dad says that Carla has been ruffling her feathers and shifting around a bit while sitting on her clutch of 4 eggs; we are guessing that this means she is either showing signs of laying another egg.....OR, one or more of the eggs are beginning to pip! If this is the case, she might be shifting a lot because of the movements of the chicks in the eggs...? But my dad says she has been doing this today! YAY! I hope that some of the chicks are starting to hatch! This is almost as exciting as hatching chicken eggs!
th.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Or maybe....just maybe....she has a tiny baby chick under her, and she's shifting and fluffing up to bury it under her as much as possible!!!???
fl.gif
big_smile.png
I can't wait to take pics; and guess what??? I just got some new batteries for my camera, so it's all ready for the big day(s)!
wee.gif

Check back to this post often for more updates, and make sure to check to title, too! For example, you can see that I updated it.
big_smile.png
I will write any exciting updates in the title; keep an eye out this week!
woot.gif

Thanks for reading!

Hey, congrats on the parrakeet eggs! I have raised American parakeets for a few years now - world's best little parents, they're awesome.
I just wanted to clarify something. You mentioned Dad is feeding Mom seeds. Please know that seeds are not a complete diet for parakeets, you can shorten their lives by half on a seed only diet (seeds are high fat, low nutrition snacks). Especially with babies on the way, they need a varied diet. Every moring, mine get a veggie mix. Usually corn, peas, green beans, carrots as a base, then turnip greens, bell peppers, fruits and other neat little healthy foods I have around (since starting to raise small parrots, my diet has improved immensely) :)
Go to a good quaility pet shop (ie: PetsMart) and get pellets. Leave those out for them at all times. Salad for breakfast, pellets always and seeds as a late afternoon snack. Watch that they are eating the healthy stuff, it can take a while for them to get used to it. The parents will also enjoy hard boiled, finely chopped eggs (chop the shells in with it - calcium for Mamma). Just make sure you boil for 20 minutes to kill any bacteria on the shell. Remove all soft food after 2 hours so it doesn't spoil.
I hope I don't seem pushy, but I know you want to do the right thing by your birds.
Best wishes and enjoy the babies - they grow WAY too fast.

Back
Top Bottom