1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE!!! Partridge Cochin...He or She?? (Pics included)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hens4thehudds, Sep 14, 2013.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    UPDATED POST: Hi again this is Keely is about 4 1/2 weeks old Partridge Cochin. Roo or Pullet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last posting

I hatched this partridge cochin, he/she Keeley is about 2 weeks old which I know is early, I just wondered if anyone could recognize any roosterish feathering or comb formations in the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last week1 and a half weeks
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help or expertise that you offer[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I hope its a hen, are there any partridge cochin people out their who might know?

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a bit young to tell, but that comb looks a bit large for a pullet of this age. I would recommend posting new photos in 2-3 weeks. By then, it should be relatively obvious as to whether your chick is a he or she.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The comb is a little large for a pullet. As of now, though, there are no other glaring rooster traits. Once her/his breast feathers are grown in, we'll be able to tell better. Male partridge cochins differ significantly from females in color pattern. Post some more photos in a few weeks; we'll be able to tell better with an older bird. What ever "its" gender, "it" is very cute!

5. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Thanks for your expertise, this is my first partridge Cochin, I love the feather pattern, and ( same old story[​IMG]) I am holding out hope for a hen.... but yes, I definitely will wait a couple of weeks like 4-6? And post some more pics of our little bird. [​IMG]

6. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    UPDATE : NEW PICS PARTRIDGE COCHIN ROO OR PULLET?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  7. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I can see some really pink wattles coming through and at that age I would have to say male.

8. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    That comb is getting redder, and I'm seeing some wattles. So, I'm going to have to say cockerel. But I'd wait a few more weeks, and then post new photos to be sure.

9. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    UPDATE AGAIN!! Partridge Cochin Girl or boy LOTS OF PICS... Opinions appreciated
    I am leaning toward hen, just cause it is getting penciling but non of the burgundy or black that a partridge Cochin rooster has?? What do you all think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, the color pattern of your bird is that of a pullet, not a cockerel. So, despite the comb being somewhat red, I'm going to say pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by