UPDATE!!! Partridge Cochin...He or She?? (Pics included)

hens4thehudds

Songster
8 Years
Jul 7, 2011
San Marcos, California
UPDATED POST: Hi again this is Keely is about 4 1/2 weeks old Partridge Cochin. Roo or Pullet?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last posting

I hatched this partridge cochin, he/she Keeley is about 2 weeks old which I know is early, I just wondered if anyone could recognize any roosterish feathering or comb formations in the pics.

Last week1 and a half weeks

Thanks in advance for any help or expertise that you offer
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It is a bit young to tell, but that comb looks a bit large for a pullet of this age. I would recommend posting new photos in 2-3 weeks. By then, it should be relatively obvious as to whether your chick is a he or she.

The comb is a little large for a pullet. As of now, though, there are no other glaring rooster traits. Once her/his breast feathers are grown in, we'll be able to tell better. Male partridge cochins differ significantly from females in color pattern. Post some more photos in a few weeks; we'll be able to tell better with an older bird. What ever "its" gender, "it" is very cute!

Thanks for your expertise, this is my first partridge Cochin, I love the feather pattern, and ( same old story
hit.gif
) I am holding out hope for a hen.... but yes, I definitely will wait a couple of weeks like 4-6? And post some more pics of our little bird.
thumbsup.gif

UPDATE AGAIN!! Partridge Cochin Girl or boy LOTS OF PICS... Opinions appreciated
I am leaning toward hen, just cause it is getting penciling but non of the burgundy or black that a partridge Cochin rooster has?? What do you all think?

UPDATE AGAIN!! Partridge Cochin Girl or boy LOTS OF PICS... Opinions appreciated
I am leaning toward hen, just cause it is getting penciling but non of the burgundy or black that a partridge Cochin rooster has?? What do you all think?
I agree, the color pattern of your bird is that of a pullet, not a cockerel. So, despite the comb being somewhat red, I'm going to say pullet.

Back
Top Bottom