Update pg 2: Silkie pullet walking/eating sideways

Update:

It's two days later from my first post. The silkie is still eating and drinking water. Her crop is full at night and empty in the morning. However, she can't seem to stand and stumbles around instead of walking. It's almost like her right side isn't working. She is also holding her wings out and back. Last night I found her at dusk just laying in the middle of the yard. I thought she was dead at first. I guess she wore herself out getting back to the coop. Today, she has put herself back in the same spot. It's really strange. I bought new feed: this local organic stuff that has a shelf life. It looks pretty awesome and the girls seem to love it. http://www.reedyforkfarm.com/

My questions:
We are traveling for the holidays. I have an A-frame coop for my four girls (including the silkie). I'm worried that she is going to die while I am gone and the girls will be trapped with a dead chicken until I get back (4 days). Should I cull this chicken? Or is there a simple solution to fixing her?

Last edited:
Can you get a neighbor to look in on them while you are gone, at least to make sure the food and water are okay? Chickens with Mareks disease will typically starve if they can't get to food and water.

Can you get a neighbor to look in on them while you are gone, at least to make sure the food and water are okay?  Chickens with Mareks disease will typically starve if they can't get to food and water.

Ok. So you think it might be Mareks? I didn't know if it was neurologically or curable.

That changes things. I'll just take her with me.

Ok. So you think it might be Mareks? I didn't know if it was neurologically or curable.

That changes things. I'll just take her with me.
I think Mareks could be a cause, but so many things can resemble Mareks. Vitamin deficiencies and other diseases can look like this. I think you would be more relaxed about her care if she was with you. Keeping her in a crate with food and water would be pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom