Update pg 2: Silkie pullet walking/eating sideways

DangerChickenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Charlotte, NC
She was fine yesterday morning. Last night I noticed something was off. She ate her dinner on her side. I brought her in and gave her a bath so I could really look her over. She's stumbling when walking. Here are the facts:

1) her flock has an enclosed potion of the yard to roam. It is possible that something got her. But I checked her out and there are no visible wounds or missing feather patches
2) vent is clear
3) crop is hard. I'll check it again in the morning.
4) she has an appetite.
5) she is really dirty
6) she was dewormed three weeks ago as a precaution.

She could have a vitamin deficiency, or a neurological problem. Silkies in particular are prone to getting neurological problems by bumping their heads on something, etc. In case this is a vitamin deficiency, I recommend getting some polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron) from a supermarket, and start treating with those.

Of course, it could also be Marek's Disease, though Marek's doesn't usually come on so suddenly.

She could have a vitamin deficiency, or a neurological problem. Silkies in particular are prone to getting neurological problems by bumping their heads on something, etc. In case this is a vitamin deficiency, I recommend getting some polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron) from a supermarket, and start treating with those.

Of course, it could also be Marek's Disease, though Marek's doesn't usually come on so suddenly.

She eats the layer feed when I'm outside with them in the mornings and afternoon. Shouldn't that be enough?

She eats the layer feed when I'm outside with them in the mornings and afternoon. Shouldn't that be enough?
Usually, yes, but not always. Sometimes chickens just get vitamin deficiencies. One cause is that the bag of feed is old (feed loses its vitamin content over time). Silkies seem to be particularly prone.

Last edited:
I think it is always a good suggestion to give vitamins to a chicken with leg problems, just in case of deficiency. Poultry vitamins can be put in the water, Polyvisol without iron can be used temporarily, and Avian Superpak is a very good online vitamin/mineral supplement.

The bag of feed is old. Interesting.... I'll replace it this weekend.

I have a electolites/vitamin packet. I've never used it. I'll add it to the water tomorrow. Any advise on ratio?

Back
Top Bottom