Update pg 2: Silkie pullet walking/eating sideways

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DangerChickenHouse, Dec 19, 2013.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    She was fine yesterday morning. Last night I noticed something was off. She ate her dinner on her side. I brought her in and gave her a bath so I could really look her over. She's stumbling when walking. Here are the facts:

1) her flock has an enclosed potion of the yard to roam. It is possible that something got her. But I checked her out and there are no visible wounds or missing feather patches
    2) vent is clear
    3) crop is hard. I'll check it again in the morning.
    4) she has an appetite.
    5) she is really dirty
    6) she was dewormed three weeks ago as a precaution.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Can she stand, or is one side weaker than the other?

3. Chook-Girl

Chook-Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    A chicken I had used to do that and when I put my head down, she pecked my hair!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She could have a vitamin deficiency, or a neurological problem. Silkies in particular are prone to getting neurological problems by bumping their heads on something, etc. In case this is a vitamin deficiency, I recommend getting some polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron) from a supermarket, and start treating with those.

Of course, it could also be Marek's Disease, though Marek's doesn't usually come on so suddenly.

5. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC

She is hunching. Not really standing. And yes, I think one side appears weaker. She holding her wings in an odd way too.

6. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC

She eats the layer feed when I'm outside with them in the mornings and afternoon. Shouldn't that be enough?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Usually, yes, but not always. Sometimes chickens just get vitamin deficiencies. One cause is that the bag of feed is old (feed loses its vitamin content over time). Silkies seem to be particularly prone.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think it is always a good suggestion to give vitamins to a chicken with leg problems, just in case of deficiency. Poultry vitamins can be put in the water, Polyvisol without iron can be used temporarily, and Avian Superpak is a very good online vitamin/mineral supplement.

9. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    The bag of feed is old. Interesting.... I'll replace it this weekend.

I have a electolites/vitamin packet. I've never used it. I'll add it to the water tomorrow. Any advise on ratio?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just mix as the label says. Tractor supply and other feedstores have chick vitamins without the electrolytes, and they have a little meaure spoon for mixing in 1 gallon of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by