** Update pg.5 Makeshift Bator PIC** Prevailing after slight disaster!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I have a broody sitting on a TON of eggs. There are at least 16 that are developing! Well tonight I went out to candle to see how things were going and there was a pip! I don't know when she started sitting, therefore I didn't know when to expect the babies to arrive! I can't wait to go out in the morning and see my new baby! Sadly, these babies have to find new homes...I hate that part

Last edited:
Congratulations! I found my broody sitting on a whole bunch of eggs too, 18 of them, but that was 19 days ago. I did candle and got rid of 4 of them but I'm not good at that yet so don't know if all 14 will hatch. Today I went in to listen next to the hen and I could hear peeping! I've been going out every hr or so and I know I have 2 chicks so far, waiting for the rest to see if they hatch. Welcome to the hatching party!!! I'm afraid I'm going to have to place my babies also, at least most of them anyway. Darn

How exciting!!
wee.gif
Congratulations. Post some pics if you can!

That is about what she had, I set aside 4 that I wasn't sure of..brown eggs. So she has about 18 or 19 under her! Hopefully they all hatch close to each other and not days apart! I don't know how long she collected for!
I will let you know in the morning if I have a baby!

Keep me updated with yours too!

Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Happy hatching, but Bec- I am not up to the drive again, it's too soon! How many are DBH?
jumpy.gif

This is how my morning went!

Last night there was a pip so this morning the kids and I rushed out there and lifted up Momma.....NO BABY! I took her off the nest and saw all this yolk and gooey stuff and an egg shell! But no baby. I started to panic because I KNEW there was a big pip last night and an empty shell. I could hear the peeping, but then I looked down and Daisy-May (the barred cochin banty) was right under my feet peeping so I didn't know where the peeping was coming from. Lily (my EE girl) was stomping all over the nest, the momma was yelling at me and there was peeping and no baby!.....Hmmmmm. Then my daughter spots the baby on the edge of the nest box....it was jet black! I was looking for yellow and fluffy...not black because the last group they hatched out were yellow or gold in color! The poor little thing was cold..active, but cold. That one's father, without a doubt, is Ceasar, my Delaware Blue hen roo. It looks like a big fluffy Blue Hen!!! There are 2 more pips, one was at the wrong end though, so I am hoping it is ok and on top of that, Lily pecked the hole more as we were searching for the lost baby. I am hoping that one is ok...we will see come tonight or tomorrow!

I will get pics in a little while, I am going to let things settle down out there!

Can't wait to see how the babes turn out. My EE's from you are truly beautiful! Even the one who's practicing gargling with sandpaper and moonshine in his throat.
lol.png

LOL..you just made me choke!
lau.gif

The little black one is an EE/Blue Hen! Looks like a blue hen but has little beard fluff! I may just have to keep 2 for me!

I just ran out to check again and there is one that had pipped and started to zip, then with the way she has the eggs, she crushed in that side, but the chick is doing ok. That one looks like a orp/cochin to me judging off the signature black eyeliner that Boss throws! I will have to wait and see I guess! Feathery legs will reveal who the daddy is!!!

Back
Top Bottom