UPDATE!Please help me with a newly hatched chick, I screwed up. Update

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
Ok heres what happened, I had 11 eggs in the bator on e started to pip, and then stopped. I posted it and they said to wait, I waited and nothing so the film whatever that was called was totally white and I could see her inside and her beak was not moving around to pip. she could cry and did loudly at first and then i got dimmer and dimmer, so I tried to help her and chipped away alittle of the shell, Nothing. so today when I got home from work I looked in on her and she was blowing white goo from her mouth, kinda like a baby blowing bubbles And it scared me but she looked very dry, very, very dry, so i touched her and she was like dryed super glue, then I was really scared so I put warm wet paper towel on the egg still nothing , finially I took the plunge, after being warned not too, but I just had to do something so I took her out and proceeded to peel the shell away, it came away with no trouble but her whole body was hard as a rock and her little wing was glued to her head.
I couldn't get the film off of her and she could not move at all, So this is what I did, please don't yell at me and tell me how stupid I am cause I already know, I took her into the bathroom and help her body under slow runing very warm water well I got her wing loose finially and all the film off of her, and put her back in the bator but she seems so week I fixed her some sugar water and put some on her beak she did seem to swallow it, but was very lathargic didn't try and move, so I went back into the kitchen and got a raw egg yoke and mixed alittle water with it and heated it up just enough to get the chill off and a little warmth, took her back out of the bator and she ate some when I put it on her beak, she seemed a little stronger, so I put her back in and watched her for awhile she didn't try and stand up or even flop around, so I got a dishtowel and made like a little brace for her so she could be upright for a while , she seems more alert, and is cheeping again but still no effort to stand alone, heres a picture of her
20212_baby_chicks_pics_078.jpg
20212_baby_chicks_pics_077.jpg
20212_baby_chicks_pics_076.jpg
when I went to get the pict. she was trying to stand or at least sit on her own. What do I next leave her alone or try and feed her again or what all the advice i can get would be greatfully recieved. Thankyou Sandy

Last edited:
Sounds like your humidity was waaaay too low. There's not much you can do now but wait. Sometimes they are very inactive at first when they have a hard hatch but recover fine. Give the occasional drop of sugar water and wait to see if the chick recovers. They don't actually need food or water for about 3days after hatching since they absorb the yolk so I wouldn't worry too much about getting things down it. Just a little sugar water or similar to increase energy.

If you have any others hatching I would really add alot more moisture. Some warm damp paper towels or sponges if your out of room in the water tray. Keep it higher on your next hatch.

I had the humidity at 65% for the chicken eggs. I thought that what it should have been. She is trying to sit and kinda get up alittle on her own now I only gave her the yoke cause I didn't know what else to do, but next time the humidity will be higher but I heard so many storied about chicks drowning in the shell I was afraid to make it any higher,, Thanks again Akane

They take a long time to do anything after they hatch anyway....I wouldn't give it anything if it absorbed the yolk, it can sustain them for 3 days. I would let it rest

stormylady You did exactally what I wought have(and have) done
smile.png
Akane is right though no food is needed right now. And next time get the humidity much higher. But all in all you are going an excellent job!

Last edited:
I have turkey, duck, and chicken eggs in my bator right now on day 19 for the chickens and day 26 for the duck and turkey. I listened to my neighbour early in my incubation period and she said my humidity was way too low at 60. I have read two different readings in books and online. I am in Canada as well and my thermometer has temperature and humidity on it. My neighbour agrees with the higher humidity in books. I think it is way too high. Can I get some insite on this from someone please before I kill my whole hatch with my humidity set at 85.

Quote:
She did absorb the yoke at least there was no sack hanging from her, she did poo though. seemed like alot for someone her size. LOL
She is tottering around in there mostly falling on her face and doing it all over again, good sign I hope? And she is cheeping loudly again but I will let her rest, and not bother her anymore till she drys out completely, thank goodness I gotta work tonight! That will help me keep my mitts off of her. Thanks for your responses everyone , I was so scared I killed her trying to save her, thats a terrible feeling, Thanks again for being supportive! Sandy

You didn't screw up. You tried to find out what to do and did your best. What's the matter with that? Even for those times when hindsight tells us there might have been a better choice, that's still the best we can do.

Sounds like rest and time is its best hope.

Back
Top Bottom