UPDATE: Puffed up pullet has died. What happened?

Glad to hear yours recovered! She would need to be laying to get EYP though, right? My pullet wasn't at POL yet (or even close, judging by her comb).
Mine hasn't laid yet, but is close. I don't think they have to be laying in order to get EYP. Last year, I had a Golden Buff, that had just started laying, get EYP. I was able to cure her, and she has turned into the best chicken I've ever had.

I didn't really find anything, but Wyorp Rock helped to point out the issues. It seems that her reproductive system was swollen, so she likely died from a reproductive issue. She was young too, barely a hen.
Aww, poor baby. Was she laying? Mine hadn't started laying yet. She was very late (at 9 months!) so I worried that there might be something wrong there, but she wasn't even close, judging by her pale tiny comb and wattles. Her hatch-mate sisters have much larger and redder combs than her right now (even though they aren't laying yet either).

Aww, poor baby. Was she laying? Mine hadn't started laying yet. She was very late (at 9 months!) so I worried that there might be something wrong there, but she wasn't even close, judging by her pale tiny comb and wattles. Her hatch-mate sisters have much larger and redder combs than her right now (even though they aren't laying yet either).
Yes, she laid blue eggs. She was a really good girl. Died when she started molting.

Sorry. :hugs Why is it always the favorites that have to go first? Keeping my fingers crossed for your other chickens 🤞
Thank you! I often wonder the same thing. It's true for people, too. I just lost a close relative a couple of days ago to cancer (so this pet chicken death is salt in an already open wound) and am wondering why the best people have to go first, too, when there are some truly evil ones out there who will likely outlive us all (including among my relatives!) :hit

Mine hasn't laid yet, but is close. I don't think they have to be laying in order to get EYP. Last year, I had a Golden Buff, that had just started laying, get EYP. I was able to cure her, and she has turned into the best chicken I've ever had.
That's great to hear! What did you do to cure her?

Back
Top Bottom