(UPDATE!!) Red not getting better * PSU Replied!

Thanks for your response
big_smile.png
. I am going to try Sulmet for a couple of days then if it doesn't work I'll try tylan. Probobly going to go get some tylan today so I have it on hand for the future. Thanks again!

Mollie

I mean this in the nicest way:

NO! Stop cycling through the antibiotics and go get the tylan! And get some low dose aspirin (81mg) while you're out. It's important to not tiptoe through things experimentally when you see symptoms that call for specific treatment and your beloved bird is weak and barely hanging on.

Sulmet is HARSH on their systems and she's already had multiple meds and is WEAK.

Whatever you do, you must get some ACTIVE CULTURE yogurt and give it to her to improve her gut health, as the antibiotics she's had will have killed off all of the beneficial bacteria in her intestines and weakened her. Your path right now is toward her having an overgrowth of the e. coli that is naturally present, and that could kill her.

I'd get the Tylan, but also give her dry oatmeal in yogurt mixed with her feed.

I know we lean on alllll sorts of ideas when our beloved birds are down, but you mustn't weaken her by going through meds that aren't the right type for the symptoms or indications.

Sulmet is a sulfa based drug and isn't a broad spectrum, timed release like Tylan. You can put the Tylan in her water to dose her, as it can cause tissue damage if injected undiluted, and dilution is a pain when you haven't a clinical set-up.

I hope she gets better soon! Best of luck!

I mean this in the nicest way too, but I have to echo what Renee/ChooksChick just said. This has been going round and round - please get the appropriate meds right away - the time for improvising is long past.
I too hope fervently that red can get through this.
JJ

The thing that would concern me the most about the tylan50 is that it would have to be given at 4 times the amount as Tylan 200and so you would have to give two separate injections of 0.8 cc of the Tylan 50and versus a single 0.4 cc injection of Tylan 200

ok guys, ok, I am going to get the Tylan 200 this afternoon. I have to wait till my hubby's paycheck comes in. I thought I would have enough to get it this morning but I dont. It costs over $20.00 here and I just don't have that until later:(. It doesn't make me any more happy than you guys that I can't get it now. I cooled her down with water again and she is sitting in front of her fan sleeping right now. So she doesn't seem stressed out at all right now. It was dawg53 that told me to get the Sulmet guys, I was just following his reccomendation. I said it before and I'll say it again, I considder everything, all suggestions that people give me. I am still new with all of these different medications and I don't know which ones are the best for which situations. I am giving her yogurt for her tummy and I have been for weeks now. I will continue to give it to her as long as she is on antibiotics and a little while after she is done with them to make sure that her tummy is ok. I do treasure all of your information please don't get me wrong...... And please don't give up on me....

Thanks,
love.gif

Mollie

None of the previous antibiotics have worked, ie...penicillin and duramycin....tylan is an antibiotic and wont work neither. Sulmet is rough on the system.
Take into account that the hen had a rectal temperature over 106 degrees yesterday (108), possible indication of fowl cholera.
Sulmet treats 2 types of cocci, fowl cholera, salmonella pullorum and coryza.
If the hens E Coli is out of balance, it needs to be tube fed a liquid mash of baytril mixed with high powered probiotics and poultry nutri drench. I've dealt with E Coli before and know how to treat it if it hasnt gotten out of control. A poop sample must be sent off to a state lab or vet school to verify what's happening with the hen, that includes verification of E Coli infection. The hens quality of life has declined to the point that it is being overdosed with everything under the sun and it's obvious she's not going to get better nor recover from whatever she has. I recommend that the hen be culled and be sent off for a necropsy.

I don't know what to say guys, Im speechless. I did just send a message to a lady that works for the Penn. State University with poultry diseases. So I guess I'm going to wait and see what she says. I'm hoping that she will help knowing that my father retired from Penn State. I told her that if Red needed to be culled I needed to know where and who to contact for a necropsy. But I also asked her that if she had any ideas on how to treat Red or if she needed any samples of anything to let me know. So I guess it is just a waiting game to see what comes out of my e-mail to her. Thanks for all the help.
love.gif

Mollie

Well You were right Dawg53. PSU replied....
Hi Mollie:

It sounds like she is really suffering and I would suggest euthanasia as you have tried everything to help her without success.

Necropsy is 35 dollars for a pet chicken.

Our website for our address and shipping/or driving info is:

· vbs.psu.edu/facilities/adl

We recommend overnight delivery with icepacks (do not freeze) as decomposition is really bad in this heat.

Eva

Looks like I have to say goodbye to my beutiful girl
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I know that at this point in her life it is the most humain thing and probably the kindest thing I can do for her right now. But it sure hurts like HE11!
hit.gif
Thanks for trying to help us over the last couple of weeks everyone.... I will be sending her away to find out what this was...

RIP RED I will love you always
love.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Mollie - If this is what you're going to do, I hope a vet or someone can help so this is done in the most humane way possible. I know this sounds like an obvious thing and I truly don't think you would want it any other way but as it seems like you couldn't even get out to get a bottle of aspirin in ~2 weeks time, I'm afraid this has me concerned. I'm not sure what your situation is there but it's been a bit confounding from the outside looking in. I am really terrifically sorry and very sad about Red, can't begin to tell you how much I hoped she would get better. I'm so so sorry. . JJ

Back
Top Bottom