(UPDATE!!) Red not getting better * PSU Replied!

Please go ahead and coat her legs with food grade mineral oil or vaseline to try to tackle the scaly mites. Poor girl, looks like she is tackling a lot of problems...Surely she is blessed by having you as a diligent caregiver! Nancy

thanks Nancy. I am coating her legs every day at least twice. It is so nice knowing that there are other chicken lovers out there that are wiling to help a fellow chicken lover.

Mollie

Quote:
Thank you. I will try to get some of these things tomorrow. Boy do I have a shopping list! I just realized that my pennacillin has expired so I have to get more of that also. When I soak Red's legs I use Dawn and salt. I did find a genaric "seven" in one of our garden sheds and it says right on the front that you can use it on dogs and cats to kill Fleas, lice, ticks, and I think some mites. So I am going to go out and dust her as soon as I get the kids in bed here.

Thanks again to everyone! She is slowly improving since I started following advice from here and I am soooo thankfull for that.

Mollie

Here is some back ground information on my Red in this thread for any one who will try to help me out. She is back down on the ground again.

BYC Home | Learning Center | Breeds | Coop Designs |BYC Store| Member Pages | Recipes | Forum FAQ's

BackYardChickens Forum

How To Raise Chickens In Your Urban or Country Backyard

Index
User list
Rules
Search
My Page
Recent Posts
Uploads
Sponsors
Logout

Logged in as PAchickenlover

Pages: 1

Index
» Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
» Help... Red my RIR is down again!!

#1 Today 4:57 pm

PAchickenloverChillin' With My PeepsFrom: YorkRegistered: 06/29/2011Posts: 161E-mail PMView My BYC Page

Help... Red my RIR is down again!!

Red my RIR and I have been batteling a mysterious "illness". She started limping a couple of months ago and that has never gone away. It started to look as if she was getting better for a while but this a few minutes ago (i just got home from a funeral) I noticed that she is hardly getting up on her feet and walking again, and she is using her wings to 'balance' herself. She is back to panting again also. It's in the mid 80's here so not too hot. None of my other chickens are panting... Please any ideas???? I truly am desperate now!!!

Last edited by PAchickenlover (Today 6:28 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2-RIR's, 9-Speckled Sussex, 3-White Plymouth Rock's, 1-Black & White Japaneese Bantam and her chick a mix of Bantam/Frizzle, 5-Frizzle's, 4-mixed breeds (mostly RIR & Frizzle mix), 2-dogs, 1-rabbit, 16-cats, essentially a Zoo. Oh yeah, a hubby and four kids also.

Report |
Edit |

#2 Today 5:51 pm

PAchickenloverChillin' With My PeepsFrom: YorkRegistered: 06/29/2011Posts: 161E-mail PMView My BYC Page

Re: Help... Red my RIR is down again!!

Please cant any one help? Where is dawg when I ned him...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2-RIR's, 9-Speckled Sussex, 3-White Plymouth Rock's, 1-Black & White Japaneese Bantam and her chick a mix of Bantam/Frizzle, 5-Frizzle's, 4-mixed breeds (mostly RIR & Frizzle mix), 2-dogs, 1-rabbit, 16-cats, essentially a Zoo. Oh yeah, a hubby and four kids also.

Report |
Edit |

#3 Today 5:56 pm

seminolewindFlock MistressFrom: spring hill, floridaRegistered: 09/06/2007Posts: 7805Awards:
E-mail PM WebsiteView My BYC Page

Hi. I think anyone that takes a guess would need more info, age, how many chickens, etc. I think there's a guide above. The limp leg and the wing walking do sound serious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karen

RUNS WITH CHICKENS

Report |

#4 Today 6:12 pm

LOVEIGEEJust HatchedFrom: Smyrna, GeorgiaRegistered: 07/24/2010Posts: 27E-mail PMView My BYC Page

I've PM'd Dawg for the same thing with my dominique....how weird.......I hope he answers one of us.........

2 Buff Orphingtons, 2 Dominques, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyndottes

Report |

#5 Today 6:32 pm

The other thread that I just found again has more information on what has been going on with Red. Please reffer to that thread now as I will be looking at that one more than this one. Thank you

Report |
Edit |

#6 Today 6:35 pm

seminolewindFlock MistressFrom: spring hill, floridaRegistered: 09/06/2007Posts: 7805Awards:
E-mail PM WebsiteView My BYC Page

And what thread might that be????????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karen

RUNS WITH CHICKENS

Report |

#7 Today 6:35 pm

LOVEIGEEJust HatchedFrom: Smyrna, GeorgiaRegistered: 07/24/2010Posts: 27E-mail PMView My BYC Page

Where is it?

2 Buff Orphingtons, 2 Dominques, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyndottes

Report |

#8 Today 6:39 pm

The one that says Help! Red Loosing color on comb! Sorry about that my mistake

Report |
Edit |

Pages: 1
Index
» Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures
» Help... Red my RIR is down again!!

Subscribe to this topic

Board footer

Show recent posts

Jump to
Frequently Asked Questions >>>BYC Website & Forum Feedback & AnnouncementsIncubating & Hatching EggsRaising Baby ChicksCoop & Run - Design, Construction, & MaintenanceFeeding & Watering Your FlockEmergencies / Diseases / Injuries and CuresPredators and PestsChicken Behaviors and EgglayingManaging Your FlockMeat Birds ETCLocal Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change them)Pictures & Stories of My ChickensBreeds, Genetics, & ShowingWhat Breed Or Gender is This?Online Poultry ShowChicken Breeders & HatcheriesNew Member IntroductionsFamily Life - Stories, Pictures & UpdatesWhere am I? Where are you!HobbiesGames, Jokes, and Fun!Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-UpsEgg, Chicken, & Other Favorite RecipesRandom RamblingsOther Poultry Database Project >>>DucksGeeseOrnamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)TurkeysQuailGuinea FowlPeafowlPheasants and Partridge (Chukar)Pigeons and DovesOstriches, Emu, RheasCaged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parrots, etc.Other Pets & LivestockBuy Sell Auction Rules - MUST READ & AGREE TO PARTICIPATE >>>Chicken Hatching Eggs - For SaleChicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old - For SaleChickens 8 Weeks & Older - For SaleOther Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs- For SaleEverything Else For SaleWanted To BuyBuy Sell Auction - Archives

00a9.png
Copyright 1999–2010 BackYardChickens.com

[ Generated in 0.034 seconds, 13 queries executed ]

| BackYardChickens.com | TheEasyGarden.com | SufficientSelf.com | BackYardHerds.com |

Sorry for confusing everyone
roll.png
I am just so beside-my-self. I just came home this afternoon from my grandmothers funeral to find My favorite hen (Red) almost totally unable to get up or move around the pen again! Should I start the whole regime of pennacillin, vitamins, yogurt and eggs again? Should I try something else? Please I don't know what to do right now... I really don't want to loose her!! HELP !!!!
hit.gif

I didn't know which wormer to use. I was getting a couple of optoins to try and I didn't know which one was best to use. What should I do now?!!!
barnie.gif

And thank you for responding!!!

Back
Top Bottom