UPDATE with PICTURES:Chicken with ripped throat!!!!

Take those stitches OUT before infection sets in! The wound may heal over them and cause a world of problems. Stitches need to be done within a very short time period to be effective and by the way that wound looks you have missed it by a few days. Clean it with peroxide twice a day and keep her seperated. ETA the windpipe you thought you saw was more likely a tendon.
Dolly85 RN

Last edited:
Here are the pictures of the "operation."

This is showing the exposed windpipe... After we pulled the feathers directly around the wound and took a cotton ball w/ peroxide on it and wiped around it.
48040_cr2.jpg

A few stiches later...
48040_cr3.jpg

More stiching...
48040_cr4.jpg

After all of the stiching is finished and antibiotic salve has been applied... We then squirted some liquid silver (natural antibiotic) into the holes we left unstiched ( holes left in case of drainage)
48040_cr5.jpg

This was just taken today (about 24 hours later)
48040_cr6.jpg

What do you think? Any infection? We thought it looked pretty good and have not applied anything else to the wound.

Carmel looks good .She is eating and drinking fine. As far as taking out the stitches, I think we are going to keep them in. There is no sign of infection so far. No pus or yellow discharge. I have not had anything this bad all of my chicken farming years so I guess I've been blessed. Ill post any updates as time goes by.
lol.png
My chickens are free-rangeing and EXTREMLY healthy.

She will probably heal up fine just separating her, maybe applying bluekote or just keeping the wound clean. I had a hen that was attacked my a hawk and it ripped her throat leaving an opening to her crop. I thought there was no way she'd heal without stitches. I worked the medical field before, and I don't think standard household thread will work because you won't be able to remove it once healed. Surgical sutures are usually made so they can be removed from the flesh. I just kind of taped her flap shut and it healed completely. You'd never even know she was injured. Chickens seem to regenerate skin rather quickly. Lots of luck with your baby.

Back
Top Bottom