*Update with solution* Can mites cause eye problems?

sugarjax06

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Lancaster, CA
One of our broody hens had her eye crusted shut a few days ago. We helped loosen it a little and it is oozing a lot so she rubs it on her back. I was checking on her today and noticed a little tiny light brown or tan bug crawling on her. I tried looking over her for more and I saw one more. Could this be a mite and could that cause the problem?

If so, what do I do? I hope she doesn't loose her eye and that the others don't get it as well.

TIA
Shalane

Last edited:
A couple years ago I got a pig that was blind from a long-term infestation of sarcoptic mange mites. Birds get a different type of mite, but a heavy load could conceivably cause the same type of problems. If she does have mites then your whole flock has mites and they need to be treated ASAP. They will need to be treated with something like Sevin dust or Eprinex pour-on. There are other insecticides available, but these are the two that I am most familiar with. They get treated and then re-treated in 7-10 days. Their coop needs to be completely hoed out and cleaned. I used Oxine the first time and bleach the second time. Both worked. Some folks then choose to sprinkle a bit of insecticide dust in the new bedding to kill any new bugs that hatch in between treatments. I didn't choose to do this and just did 2 thorough coop cleanings, instead.

Just to be on the safe side, I would isolate the crusty-eyed bird until you are sure she doesn't have something worse than just mites. I will say, though, that broodies are more prone to having mites because they stick to one spot, usually inside the coop where it's dim, so they are usually the most heavily infested birds of the flock. Mites are most active when it's dark.

I hope she recovers. Mites are a serious pain in the neck and can be deadly if left too long. Good luck with her.

Thanks. I checked my other mama hen who is in a rabbit hutch with 7, 4 day old chicks and saw creepy crawlies there too so I guess I will be going to Walmart to look for Seven dust. Can I dust the chicks? I need to dust the walls of the coop and bedding?

I'm so sad and concerned right now for all of little buddies
sad.png

Here's a link to the MSDS on Sevin.

http://www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022002

If you don't feel safe using it on chicks then I have heard about using Adam's Flea and Tick products. I've never used it myself, but it comes highly recommended by many folks here.

ETA- I sprayed the heck out of the entire interior of my coop with bleach and water and let it dry before the girls were allowed back in.

Last edited:
Got the problem of mites here too!
interesting... look at the ingredients of sevin

Ingredients from MSDS/Label
Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Carbaryl 000063-25-2 5
Kaolin clay 001332-58-7 <95
Silica, amorphous (Diatomaceous silica) 007631-86-9 <95

95% DE? really? ive been putting that in my coop for months, and ive got a silkie roo absolutely crawling with mites! He is so sick at this point im not holding out allot of hope for my poor boy.

K well i got a livestock dust at TSC im gonna dust him with the powder in a old sock with that and then DE again if he survives and see what happens.... I will be emptying my coop and burning the litter this afternoon.
This totally stinks!
Noelg

It`s the Carbaryl in the Sevin that kills the little vampires. DE has it`s fans, but like Noelg says it just doesn`t work. Folks that love it probably would not have had a problem to begin with. As CMV mentioned, Adams Flea & Tick Dip is excellent for louse/mite infestations. Mix as directed in a 5 gallon bucket and dip the birds in up to their chinny chin chins. Either strain the mix left in the bucket or mix some more and spray everything in the coop, nests, roosts, walls and floor. Good stuff and you don`t have to re treat in 10 days as it lasts for about a month. You can smell it for that long, but it`s no a bad smell. Seems like a lot of work, but it beats having creepy crawlies eating your birds alive, and it`s effective.

For hens with chicks, Sevin Dust is safe. I`ve used it for decades. I try to dust the nest BEFORE the hen starts setting, but usually she beats me to it. It is safe for chicks, though. Good luck........Pop

Noelg, before you give up on your little rooster, get some Red Cell at the feed store (in the equine section). Mix it in his water to look like weak tea. It`s a blood fortifying vitamin additive and he can use it until he`s strong again. I use it for my birds about twice a week. It promotes good health and bright red faces........Pop

Thanks everyone. I did buy Sevin and cleaned the coop and dusted my broodies. I am not seeing any more creepy crawlies for now. I can't catch most of the older birds except at night and I haven't had the opportunity the last 2 nights.

However, my broody with the eye problem doesn't seem to be getting better. I just checked on her and the good eye was mostly crusted shut. I helped loosen it up so she can open it now but I have no idea what's going on with her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom