UPDATED 12/12- PIC-VERY GRAFIC I had to amputate

UPDATE!!!

I talked with Dr. Brown on the phone this morning. He has been at a show and had an all day drive home yesterday. I was very impressed with him. He asked me questions, gave me options and praised me for doing what I could for her. I am doing all that I am suppost to do. I will have to get a vet to amputate or do it myself. He gave me detailed instructions on how to do it. However; there is a little pink in her toe nail which means there is blood flow at this time to that area. I am getting ready to take her bandages off, look and see what I can determain. I will not be makeing any decisions today.

Thank you to those of you who lended me support
hugs.gif
when I needed it I will keep you updated.

She has bandages on her feet that is that pet wrap. My son picked out bright pink because she is girl mom... With the bandages on she feels good. Yesterday she took a dust bath in her pine shavings. I was so glad to see that.

Last night when I changed her bandages, I could pick off part of the black on her toe. I am hopeing that I can just keep picking off the dead, black area and keep cleaning it. I really don't want to amputate...I don't know if I am going to be able to avoid it though.

My girls right foot is almost completely heald. Her left foot is looking good except for the black toe. I am hopeful though..I picked at the black area and part of it started bleeding. That means it is still alive and I don't think I will have to amputate the whole toe. It may just be the tip.

OMG, I just saw this thread and I am so sorry. I wouldn't have been able to help you but would have at least let you know I was here listening. You have done a great job and I am thrilled to hear your hen is doing much better. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all goes well for you. did you get any ice today? we did and I was worried about my chickens but they stayed all huddled in the garage and turned in early. With more ice on the way I think I will keep mine cooped up this weekend. Ice can't be good on their feet either. You have made a good point on light bulbs in the coop. I wouldn't have thought a chicken would have gotten up on one, that just goes to show you we need to out think them don't we? Would a wire cage around the bulb help or would that get hot too? My dh put up those energy efficient bulbs in the coop ...just for longer "daylight" and we were thinking of putting in a low wattage to keep the water container from freezing. Now I think I will hold off until we figure a safer way to keep the water from freezing and not risking a bird getting on the bulb. Good luck to you.

We got snow...down south got more of a mixture. We were suppose to go to Springfield tomorrow, but not with the ice coming. We are going to be hit and miss until tue. I have the small door in the coop open, if they want to get out, but they usually stay in when there is snow on the ground.

We use one of those dog bowl that you can plug in, for their water. It works pretty good. I have my Polish in the garage. They drink from a fountain. Their feathers get in a bowl and cause their face to freeze, so they are spoiled right now in the garage where it is 60. We are going to build a big coop this spring.

As far as the light bulb, we had it in an upright postion and now we have a heat light in it facing down ward. If they were to try and perch on the bulb, they would slide off. We moved the perches so that they can't get to the light, but don't say they won't. I added a BUNCH of bedding on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom