Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
It won't hurt them. Did you say you have the liquid or the powder? If you have the liquid you can also give it as a drench. Dose to shoot for is undiluted Corid at 0.1ml per pound. You could try that for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Safeguard and Corid *can* be used together.

-Kathy
Kathy, you are amazing. Thank you so much for the info!!!

Hi everyone, just a quick update for future reference.
I had one bird with green slimy poops and one with bloody poops.
I drenched both birds with Safeguard (.23 mL per pound) and Corid (0.1 mL per pound) for five days. Poop returned to normal around day 4. I had seen it recommended to re-administer after 5 days, and I did that yesterday. This morning, I got bad poops from them again, so I'm glad I saw the re-administration recommended! I was planning to do just one re-admin, but I'll do another full 5-day course, and maybe another booster 5 days after that.
Thanks so much, everyone (especially Kathy!) for your advice and support. You can be sure I'll pay it forward as I gain wisdom in the world of chickens.

Hi everyone, just a quick update for future reference.  
I had one bird with green slimy poops and one with bloody poops.
I drenched both birds with Safeguard (.23 mL per pound) and Corid (0.1 mL per pound) for five days.  Poop returned to normal around day 4.  I had seen it recommended to re-administer after 5 days, and I did that yesterday.  This morning, I got bad poops from them again, so I'm glad I saw the re-administration recommended!  I was planning to do just one re-admin, but I'll do another full 5-day course, and maybe another booster 5 days after that.  
Thanks so much, everyone (especially Kathy!) for your advice and support.  You can be sure I'll pay it forward as I gain wisdom in the world of chickens.

It is recommended that amprolium be administered at full strength for 5-7 days , then 1/2 strength for 5-7 days , then 1/4 strength for a further 5-7 days. By doing this you are helping the birds to build immunity after the initial treatment course.

It is recommended that amprolium be administered at full strength for 5-7 days , then 1/2 strength for 5-7 days , then 1/4 strength for a further 5-7 days. By doing this you are helping the birds to build immunity after the initial treatment course.

Yes, I followed this schedule with all my birds, and these two didn't get better. I started the treatment outlined above after a week of ampro at full strength and a week at half strength.

Thanks for helping me clarify!

Last edited:
Yes, I followed this schedule with all my birds, and these two didn't get better.  I started the treatment outlined above after a week of ampro at full strength and a week at half strength.  

Thanks for helping me clarify!

When treating in the water it's always difficult to know whether or not everyone is getting enough of the medication. I'm glad that you are seeing improvement in your birds. As amprolium is a thiamine blocker/analog it's also a good idea to give a good multi vitamin after treatment.

When treating in the water it's always difficult to know whether or not everyone is getting enough of the medication. I'm glad that you are seeing improvement in your birds. As amprolium is a thiamine blocker/analog it's also a good idea to give a good multi vitamin after treatment.

Thanks! I followed with probiotics and an electrolyte/vitamin mixture. Before I switched to a drench, I tube fed the two birds who were worst off with about 35cc of the medicated water 3 times per day, to make sure that they were getting at least some. These two that I've been drenching still weren't responding as well as I wanted, so I put them on the Safeguard in addition to a longer course of Corid.

I'm glad they're doing better, too! Thank you!

Thanks! I followed with probiotics and an electrolyte/vitamin mixture. Before I switched to a drench, I tube fed the two birds who were worst off with about 35cc of the medicated water 3 times per day, to make sure that they were getting at least some. These two that I've been drenching still weren't responding as well as I wanted, so I put them on the Safeguard in addition to a longer course of Corid.

I'm glad they're doing better, too! Thank you!
Did you give the vitamins with the corid?

thumbsup.gif
Great

I know this has been posted but thought i would post it again for some that may not know how corid works.
How CORID works
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition. CORID has been experimentally administered at many times the recommended dosage and duration with no signs of toxicity.
When CORID works
CORID stops coccidia at a critical stage in the host animal's small intestine to prevent more damaging coccidiosis in the large intestine. By acting on the young asexual stages of the coccidia life cycle, CORID allows exposure to first-generation schizonts, so the host animal can develop natural immunity to coccidia. This makes CORID effective as a preventive therapy.

Back
Top Bottom