Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
It's pretty safe stuff, so I doubt the dose you gave killed it. How much did you use?

-Kathy

X2. Dosing margin's are very wide for a reason. The nature of this medication and how it acts to control cocci protozoa growth would make it very hard to kill a bird with it. When a bird/birds die when being given Corid it's far more likely that the coccidiosis was already to far advanced for the bird to recover or there were other problems going on as well.

I haven't been back on here - was just getting over the chick loss (I get so attached!)…
The others have been doing pretty well, and I've been giving a moderate dose of powdered cord just in case (about 1/2-1 teaspoon per gallon).
But today I'm noticing similar symptoms in one of them - she seems a little smaller and quieter than the others, has her feathers puffed out a bit. The others are getting feathers in on their heads, but hers is still fuzz. I see watery poops, but not sure who they're coming from. No blood though.
I've read that by the time you see symptoms, it's too late… any thoughts on if that's true? SHould I up the dose to severe for all of them? Or just her?
Also, I've been adding a little splash of apple cider vinegar to their water - could that maybe have any reaction to the corid? I had read not to add vitamins or "save a chick" stuff while using it?

I haven't been back on here - was just getting over the chick loss (I get so attached!)…
The others have been doing pretty well, and I've been giving a moderate dose of powdered cord just in case (about 1/2-1 teaspoon per gallon).
But today I'm noticing similar symptoms in one of them - she seems a little smaller and quieter than the others, has her feathers puffed out a bit. The others are getting feathers in on their heads, but hers is still fuzz. I see watery poops, but not sure who they're coming from. No blood though.
I've read that by the time you see symptoms, it's too late… any thoughts on if that's true? SHould I up the dose to severe for all of them? Or just her?
Also, I've been adding a little splash of apple cider vinegar to their water - could that maybe have any reaction to the corid? I had read not to add vitamins or "save a chick" stuff while using it?
No reason not to use the severe outbreak dose any time you suspect coccidiosis. Probably best not to add anything to the water while they're drinking it. You might also want to make them a mash using the medicated water.

-Kathy

No reason not to use the severe outbreak dose any time you suspect coccidiosis. Probably best not to add anything to the water while they're drinking it. You might also want to make them a mash using the medicated water.

-Kathy

Also best to use soft water for medications, my vet told me that hard water will diminish the effectiveness of medications.

Thanks - I did just try making a mash earlier for the sick one, trying to get as much corid into her as I can, at the severe dose. I give them quick-cook oats as a snack, and they really seem to like it. Seems like I had read during a previous chick-raising years back that it was good for them?
I think I do have hard water, so I guess that's one more thing that could affect treatment.

I just bought this new wormer, and on the bottle its said the recommended dose is 0.2 mg per kg, should i give them 0.2 per kg or 0.4 per kg like i done with Albendazole?

The seller said this is stronger than Albendazole.

That's ivermectin and the dose per bird is 0.02ml per kg, so a large male peacock would 0.12 ml, but you should know that ivermectin is not a very good wormer for poultry. Many worms are now resistant to it.
sad.png

But if you want to put it in the water, the dose is 0.16ml per liter (40ml divided by 250 liters = 0.16ml)

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom